Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

<windows Root> System32\hal.dll Is Missing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nathansdad04

nathansdad04

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:22 AM

I get the message 99% of the time.....occasionally I get the 'press any key' to boot from cd and can get to the recovery console.
When I was able to get into the recovery console...I tried chkdsk /r and it stopped at 75% then back to 50% then back to 75% then in seconds was at 100%.
Once I was in recovery console, I tried fixboot, but it didn't help. I exited and now I can't get the darn Xp cd to boot again.

Edited by nathansdad04, 20 February 2007 - 01:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:30 AM

How old is your HD. The "hal" message is usually an indication that the computer is having difficulty reading the boot HD. This can be because you have recently been installing other dual OS's, for example, or a dying HD.

Edited by uhaligani, 20 February 2007 - 02:11 PM.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:34 AM

Some reading material :
Here
here

Does that make any sence?

#4 HIPPO1023

HIPPO1023

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:54 AM

See also :
Langa Letter: XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command

There's an easy fix for "Missing HAL.DLL," "Invalid Boot.Ini," and several other fatal startup errors, Fred Langa says.

Edited by HIPPO1023, 20 February 2007 - 09:59 AM.

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:22 AM

If you have problems connecting to the above link you need to use the cached page.

Langa Letter: XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

My biggest problem is that I can't get the darn computer to boot off the reinstall cd(it my xp cd from my dell). Both computers are running the same OS, which is media ceneter edition.
So until I can get it to load from the cd I'm pretty much stuck.

#7 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:09 PM

I'm giving up on trying to fix this darn computer. Will replacing the hard drive solve my problems.......or is this missing hal.dll thing NOT associated with my hard drive?
Considering the fact that my stepson has been running his laptop with with little or no virus protection and hasn't treated the computer well in general....it's probably best to start fresh.
Am I correct in thinking that I can use my XP reinstall disk(I got it from Dell) to get his Gateway working again? What worries me is the fact that I haven't been able to boot the darn XP disk currently....will the new HD allow me to access the XP disk?

#8 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:31 PM

You cannot use the Dell CD on a Gateway. You need to use Gateway's recovery disk which should have been created when the system was first started new.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#9 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

My stepson has NO disks from when the computer was new(he's a moron). How can I get a hold of a Gateway recovery disk? Is it 1 disk or more?

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:03 PM

Depending on the Gateway, it's possible to restore some of them with many different XP disks. The reason for this is that Gateway (and eMachines) retain a lot of the info on the hard drive for the restore - only needing the i386 folder for the restore.

FWIW - we've used this method to revert from Media Center Edition to XP Home so we could upgrade the PC to XPPro (it isn't supported from MCE to Pro).

So, you'll need to find a copy of the appropriate i386 folder and give it a try. This won't solve problems associated with drivers - but Gateway has a very easy to use support website that'll give you the drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:48 PM

So, I'm supposed to get the drivers from the gateway website and burn them to cd and try and load them into the broken gateway? This is the laptop I'm working with(the actual specs may not be exact)
http://catalog.hsn.com/prod-267/st001/hp&#...ept/2230319.htm

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:25 PM

Yes, you go to the Gateway support site and input your serial number. It will take you to a page that has all the downloadable drivers for your system. Download them all and install them on your system after you reinstall XP.

You can tell if it's successful by checking Device Manager (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) - it'll show red x's or yellow !'s for any that must be updated.

Windows will install some of the drivers already - but you'll still have to use the updated drivers for these to get the full functionality of the drivers. These won't be evident in Device Manager, so it's best to just install them "just in case"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:51 PM

Can I install XP from my dell XP disk and then use the drivers from Gateway? I just found out that the disks that came with his Gateway were sent to his grandmother in Florida(they had a crash last year, i guess) and I doubt i can get them back.
If I DO end up getting them back...are the gateway disks more apt to boot than the dell disk I have. The missing hal.dll thing is what's causing the laptop NOT to boot from cd right now. It doesn't even even give me the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt. That means something OTHER than the HD is out of whack....correct?

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:13 AM

As long as the Dell disk has an i386 folder that contains the right files for your installation (XPHome, Media Center, or Pro) it should work. Just don't try installing the Dell CD - rather try the F11 recovery thing that's built into the Gateways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users