Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Convert.....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:23 AM

I have a DVD recorder, and I need to put some of my recordings on the computer, I can convert them to .VOB files but at 100.00 MB for a 2-3 minute video AND they will only play in the VLC player. I need something that will convert them to .wmv or anything that will play in Windows Media Player, that doesnt lose ALOT of quality, and isnt 100 mb
Thanks

Edited by Matthew Alan, 20 February 2007 - 12:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:53 AM

Can you explain this part some more?

I can convert them to .VOB files but at 100.00 MB for a 2-3 minute video AND they will only play in the VLC player

If you copy from your dvd recorder, you should have the whole movie, all in tact, on your computer. Explain especially this part:

I can convert them to .VOB files but at 100.00 MB for a 2-3 minute video

And to answer:

I need something that will convert them to .wmv or anything that will play in Windows Media Player, that doesnt lose ALOT of quality, and isnt 100 mb

Alot of programs can convert formats from one kind to another, and not have any time or file restrictions. As far as loss of quality?.... if you use the right tools, you'll have no quality loss. What programs exactly are you using?

1. Also, why do you want it in .wmv format?

2. Are these for Internet only users?
3. Are these to be played on stand-alone players later?

#3 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:15 AM

yes they are to be streamed off the net, I dont really have any program(s) except to get it in .VOB and a WMV converter that will only convert 5 minutes (bad qualtiy) if its not against the rules I would show you the VOB and WMV videos, (by rules I mean advertiseing (hosted on my site))

I mean its 100 MB which is to big This movie should be 15-20 mb a poor qalutiy one is 10 mb so I think you should get that.

It doesnt have to be WMV just something that will play in Windows Media and isnt very big.

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:25 AM

What make of DVD Recorder do you have?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#5 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

Magnavox MWR-10D6

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:47 PM

1) Have you finalised the DVD after recording?

2) I have herd that on some DVD recordings you can just copy the contents to the pc and just change the file extension e.g. vob to avi not sure if that will work for you?

3) If the finalised structure of your DVD is similar to that of 'shop' brought DVD's then have a look at software that converts vob to divx. or vob to avi.
Posted Image

#7 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:00 AM

1) Have you finalised the DVD after recording?

2) I have herd that on some DVD recordings you can just copy the contents to the pc and just change the file extension e.g. vob to avi not sure if that will work for you?

3) If the finalised structure of your DVD is similar to that of 'shop' brought DVD's then have a look at software that converts vob to divx. or vob to avi.

Divx isnt that HD? I heard about AVI but wasnt sure if it is good.

Also, do you know of any that will convert teh full thing without buying it?

Thanks,
Matthew Alan

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:17 AM

Your best option is going to be to convert the file to a .rmvb format. If you already have the movie on your hard drive, and you're trying to shrink a 100M movie into a 15-20M movie, you're going to have total quality loss, especially if you're streaming it. If you wasn't streaming, you could always zip it up, and save space.

You may have to experiment on converting your .VOB file to either .avi or .rmvb, .mpg, etc, and see which will give you the smallest size and the best results.

Goto Doom9.net
http://www.doom9.org/ ..... and click on the link to the left side that says Guides

But the format I mentioned is RealPlayer format. I only had a few of those files before, and they're the best to me, because they are smaller than any traditional file size of a movie, and still has the original movie quality, but they're hard to find.

For some reason, I don't see you compressing/converting that 100M movie to 15-20M, without quality loss. Also, the best quality I've seen watching movies on my computers is with VideoLan. The others just don't have that quality in the pictures..... one man's opinion.

Ohhh... before I forget... depending on which format you convert to will either make the resulting file either larger, the same size, or smaller.... but like I said before, the smallest movie file size I ever saw in my life was a .rmvb format. A 2 hour movie only 245M. If there is a way to reduce movies to a smaller format than what's used now, I'd be the 1st to jump on it.

You should definitely check around.... there may be a way to do what you're wanting to do, but I doubt it.. not unless you simply edit frames out of it, or compress it to a zipped format.

#9 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:27 AM

Going back to your first post, you said that "I need to put some of my recordings on the computer" just to clafily are your recordings stored on DVD? If they aren't what sort of media are they stored on?

Secondly, a completed or finalised DVD should be playable in other DVD players/recorders and even PC's however it depends on what type of media (blank DVD) you use and whether the player/PC drive can play that type of media e.g some DVD recorders record to DVD-RAM discs and these aren't playable on some PC's

Thirdly, the DVD's that you have made so far, are they playable on your PC e.g through software like Cyberlink PowerDVD? If they are then you can result to what Walkman said and look at guides that inform you about DVD to DivX or DVD to Avi etc, etc.

Forthly check your DVD recorder's manual there maybe something in there about your query.

Divx is a form of compression just like Xvid, wmv, mp3 etc.

Hope that helps!

P.S I found this just after exiting the forum, could be helpful in your quest!!

Edited by FireKracker, 21 February 2007 - 08:48 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:11 PM

Going back to your first post, you said that "I need to put some of my recordings on the computer" just to clafily are your recordings stored on DVD? If they aren't what sort of media are they stored on?

Secondly, a completed or finalised DVD should be playable in other DVD players/recorders and even PC's however it depends on what type of media (blank DVD) you use and whether the player/PC drive can play that type of media e.g some DVD recorders record to DVD-RAM discs and these aren't playable on some PC's

Thirdly, the DVD's that you have made so far, are they playable on your PC e.g through software like Cyberlink PowerDVD? If they are then you can result to what Walkman said and look at guides that inform you about DVD to DivX or DVD to Avi etc, etc.

Forthly check your DVD recorder's manual there maybe something in there about your query.

Divx is a form of compression just like Xvid, wmv, mp3 etc.

Hope that helps!

P.S I found this just after exiting the forum, could be helpful in your quest!!

There on DVD+RW. Yes it will play on the computer, and I can put it on the computer. I need a filesize that I can UPLOAD and stream off my server.

#11 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:42 PM

OK, try downloading some of the programs that I suggested in the previous post or even look at the links Walkman posted.

Once you have converted the DVD files to an avi (which is the most common computer video file) you can then convert to any streamable media (wmv, quicktime etc) including Flash video (like google videos or youtube use).
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users