Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Christoph182

Christoph182

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:02 AM

hey guys, Im not sure if this is the right category for this problem because I couldnt see any better categories for this problem. I had recently purchased a gateway laptop. I was using it and about a month into the purchase I noticed that the scroll thing on the mouse pad doesnt work. The first couple of days that I had this laptop it was working fine. I dont know if maybe I deleted something or removed some software that is required for the laptop to run. can you guys clear this up please? thanks.

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 20 February 2007 - 09:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:05 AM

Hi there Christoph, welcome to the forums.

This problem is most likely one of two things, incorrect drivers for the mouse, or the mouse's hardware is actually failing itself. As this is a laptop, I am assuming that you are using a USB mouse. Click on start > control panel > and double click on "mouse". Click on the wheel tab, is everything greyed out, or are you able to change the options?

Then click on the hardware tab, and next to "device status:", let me know what it says. It should say something about the device working fine, if the mouse itself is being by Windows fine. Is this mouse plug and play, ie you don't need to install drivers for it? Most USB mouses are like this. If it isn't, did you install the drivers that came with the mouse? You could try to install them again, or use the Windows automatic method. Under the hardware tab, click on 'properties', click on the 'driver' tab, then click on "update driver".

If it's a plug and play mouse then you could always try it on another PC/Laptop and see if the scroll wheel works. If it doesn't work on another computer then you know that it is most likely a hardware fault with the mouse itself. I would recommend you purchase a USB mouse if you don't have one already; PS/2 mice can have problems on laptops because the touchpad is usually the default pointing device on the PS/2 bus. I've seen many problems with PS/2 mice on laptops in the past. USB mice fixed 95% of those problems.

Let me know how it goes, David

#3 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:09 AM

Christoph, are you talking about the touchpad that's on your laptop, the one where you use your fingertips to scroll and point? Or are you talking about a mouse hardware device that you plug into the laptop via a USB port?
drymobius

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:57 AM

Ahh I see, I think he actually means the pad that's on the laptop itself. Oops!

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:21 AM

Normally the scroll is or the right side of the touchpad. You say this is now not working. Is the area that you touch not work or is it the scroll feature that is not working. If it is the sensitivity of that part of the touchpad that is not working then this will be a hardware fault. If it is working but just not scrolling then this is likely to be a driver issue.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#6 Christoph182

Christoph182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:01 PM

yes, the touchpad scroll feature does not work. Is there any way I can find the driver for it.. Im not sure where to find it or if that is even the problem.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:05 PM

If you received recovery\installation disk or drives disks with your computer they will reside on one of those disks. What is the model of your notebook??

Edited by acklan, 20 February 2007 - 12:05 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Christoph182

Christoph182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:01 PM

its a gateway MX6930

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:50 PM

Here is the link for the Gateway MX6930 Drivers. If you do not have the recovery\installation disk(s) I would recommend you download and burn them to CD\DVD. The will come in handy later on.
I would not allow anyone to touch that computer without direction from Dell Tech Support. The last thing you want is to void your warranty. IMO
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users