Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Issues With My Desktop

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 simALITY

simALITY

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:49 PM

In the past week or so, I have been experiencing multiple problems with my desktop. I've been getting fake 404 Google Error messages. I'm being told that Firefox 2.0 is configured to use a proxy that does not accept connections (although it apparently doesn't have any problem with IE 7.0) And I'm not able to go into safemode without using a program that was recommended to me on this forum.

All these problems cropped up immediately after I got my computer back from a computer repair shop (I had a partition that needed to be remove, and the thing needed a new case (one with USB ports in the front)).

I have run
Spybot S&D
Adaware
Pest Patrol
SUPERAnti Spyware
Bit Defender
Systemic

None of them found anything, but obviously something is wrong. My laptop (which runs IE 6.0 and FF 2.0) hasn't had any of these problems. My desktop didn't have them either, up until a couple of weeks ago.

What is going on with my machine?

Kat

Edited by wannabeanerd, 19 February 2007 - 11:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:17 AM

Let us first check whether you have any connection at all. Go to START RUN and typ cmd. In the black box please type ping www.google.com and post back the results ( mind the bracket between ping and www)

#3 simALITY

simALITY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:01 PM

Let us first check whether you have any connection at all. Go to START RUN and typ cmd. In the black box please type ping www.google.com and post back the results ( mind the bracket between ping and www)

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [64.233.187.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=236
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=236
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=236
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=236

Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 57ms, Maximum = 60ms, Average = 58ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

#4 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:12 PM

OK so you have a connection. Try the following :

RUN type cmd after the prompt type ipconfig /flushdns
after that type ipconfig /renew

reboot and try again.

#5 simALITY

simALITY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:17 PM

I'm in the middle of a Kaspersky scan (which appears to have found something). More details when scan is complete.

#6 simALITY

simALITY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:27 PM

Kaspersky turned up empty, and the instructions you gave me haven't helped. :-(

In addition to the problems mentioned above, I've been having periodic problems with my keyboard (purchased less than two months ago), and my harddrive is fragmenting at an alarming rate. Between the 12th and the 19th, it became 31% fragmented, and right now it is 3% fragmented. 3% in three days!

I've also been getting rerouted to a Google-esque page. Like ten minutes ago, when I tried to navigate to this site (on my desktop, I'm using my laptop at the moment), I was sent to a page that looked exactly like Google.com, but couldn't have been because it didn't say I was logged in. When I looked at the page source, the links were all made to lead to various parts of Bleeping Computer.

This might make some sort of twisted sense if Google was my default search engine, but its not. I do use gmail, but I don't have any of Google's software installed. Not even their toolbar.

I'm thinking this has to be malware.

Kat

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

I see you ran a Hijack This scan on Jan. 19. Why not run another and compare it for any differences?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:48 PM

Try this :
Download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.
* Scan in SAFE MODE

than :
* Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:

* Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
* Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
* Under Browsing History, click "Delete".
* Click "Delete Files", "Delete cookies" and "Delete history"
* Click Close below.

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):

* Go to Tools > Options.
* Click Privacy in the menu..
* Click the Clear now button below.. A new window will popup what to clear.
* Select all and click the Clear button again.
* Click OK to close the Options window

* Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin

* Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
* Let it scan your system for files to remove.
* Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
* Press OK to remove them.

and post back any improvement

#9 simALITY

simALITY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:39 PM

I ran SUPERAntiSpyware scan early this afternoon. In both normal mode and safe mode. All it found were two cookies.

While I was in Safe Mode, I also ran Spybot, Adaware, AVG Anti-Spyware. They all came up empty.

I emptied my browser's cache file. And ran Disk Cleanup, and deleted all 311KBs of data in my Temporary Internet Files (no surprise there--it was reformatted just two weeks ago).

BTW: I don't think it is a coincidence that these problems started occurring afterI picked up my computer from the service shop.

arg.

Kat

Edit: Sorry for the sarcasism. It wasn't directed at you, fozzi, I'm just frustrated with this whole situation.

Edited by wannabeanerd, 21 February 2007 - 08:53 PM.

#10 simALITY

simALITY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:49 PM

I see you ran a Hijack This scan on Jan. 19. Why not run another and compare it for any differences?

That was my laptop.

#11 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:58 PM

Do you have a lot of add-ons in FF?

to check your proxy settings in FF :
click 'Tools',
click 'Options...',
click 'Advanced' button,
click 'Network' tab,
click 'Settings.. anything there?

did you do this?

RUN type cmd after the prompt type ipconfig /flushdns after that type ipconfig /renew

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in the device manager

Run Microsoft Online test to see what is happening . Take the complete test and post back the results.

Did you ever did a test on your harddisk. Go to the manufacterer's website and run some tests there.

YOU can also look at this :

Check for disk errors by running CHKDSK. CHKDSK can be run from the Recovery Console, the command prompt or through the Windows GUI.
To run chkdsk from the Win XP GUI see these instructions.
To run chkdsk from the command prompt see these instructions.
To run chkdsk from the Recovery Console see these instructions.
The problem with running CHKDSK from Win XP is that it will not check files that are being used by Windows. Using chkdsk in the Recovery Console with the /r switch is a way to resolve this.

Check for any unnecessary running services. If you have a typical installation, many services are configured as "automatic"; that is, they start automatically when the system starts or when the service is called for the first time. Use "Black Viper's Services Configuration" to help fine tune this area.

as a final resort try to do a repair with sfc/scannow and have your XP pro disc ready since it will need to copy those files from the disc. Here is an excellent tutorial on that subject.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

Have you looked at the connection settings in Firefox?
Tools/ options/ General/ connection settings---------That is the path in my Firefox 1.5.08. Don't know if it is the same in 2.0.

Have you right clicked and checked source for the "faux" Google page?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 simALITY

simALITY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:20 PM

Do you have a lot of add-ons in FF?

Nope. Don't have any, except for Talkback--and that comes with FF.

to check your proxy settings in FF :
click 'Tools',
click 'Options...',
click 'Advanced' button,
click 'Network' tab,
click 'Settings.. anything there?

Yes, actually there is. The Manual proxy configuration has been selected, and the proxy is localhost, port 1036.

I didn't do that.

Change it back to direct connection?

did you do this?

RUN type cmd after the prompt type ipconfig /flushdns after that type ipconfig /renew

Yep.

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in the device manager

Nope.

Run Microsoft Online test to see what is happening . Take the complete test and post back the results.

Will do.

Did you ever did a test on your harddisk. Go to the manufacterer's website and run some tests there.

I don't know who made the harddrive. The computer was homebuilt by someone else and given to me by a friend.

YOU can also look at this :

Check for disk errors by running CHKDSK. CHKDSK can be run from the Recovery Console, the command prompt or through the Windows GUI.
To run chkdsk from the Win XP GUI see these instructions.
To run chkdsk from the command prompt see these instructions.
To run chkdsk from the Recovery Console see these instructions.
The problem with running CHKDSK from Win XP is that it will not check files that are being used by Windows. Using chkdsk in the Recovery Console with the /r switch is a way to resolve this.

I ran CHKDSK /f the other day. I think that is the same thing as CHKDSK /r, but correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I set it so that it ran prior to launching windows.

Check for any unnecessary running services. If you have a typical installation, many services are configured as "automatic"; that is, they start automatically when the system starts or when the service is called for the first time. Use "Black Viper's Services Configuration" to help fine tune this area.

Will Do.

as a final resort try to do a repair with sfc/scannow and have your XP pro disc ready since it will need to copy those files from the disc. Here is an excellent tutorial on that subject.

Will do if necessary.

Kat

#14 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:31 PM

Yes, actually there is. The Manual proxy configuration has been selected, and the proxy is localhost, port 1036.I didn't do that.Change it back to direct connection?

If this is not a requirement by your ISP yes

I don't know who made the harddrive. The computer was homebuilt by someone else and given to me by a friend.

Go to MY Computer open it, rightclick your hard drive ( most likely C) Propperties and than hardware. You will see a number there . Post that.

Which firewall do you have?

Do start run type cmd in the blackbox behind the prompt type netstat -a

Will wait for the results of your actions..

Edited by fozzie, 21 February 2007 - 09:42 PM.

#15 simALITY

simALITY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

Yes, actually there is. The Manual proxy configuration has been selected, and the proxy is localhost, port 1036.I didn't do that.Change it back to direct connection?

If this is not a requirement by your ISP yes

That's one problem fixed. Of course, how it got that way, is still a mystery.

Go to MY Computer open it, rightclick your hard drive ( most likely C) Propperties and than hardware. You will see a number there . Post that.

Will wait for the results of your actions..

I have two harddrives installed. The C Drive is on the 80 GB. Which one that is...I don't know, so here are both numbers.

ST320410A
ST380013A

The link to the "Online Test" led to a page called "Windows Live OneCare"...is that where you meant to send me? And if so, you want me to run the "online safety scanner".

Kat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users