Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Distro?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:57 PM

hello,
I am trying to migrate over to Linux and my Intel Proset 3945ABG wireless network card is not being recognized in the major distros. I've tried Fedora, Debian Ubuntu, Kubuntu, & Freespire. Is there any hope for me?

Is there a distro that supports the following?

Realtek RTL839/810x Fast Family Ethernet

and

Intel Proset 3945ABG wireless

Could someone help me? I really want to move to Linux.... but seem stuck.

Edited by Jesse Bassett, 19 February 2007 - 10:05 PM.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:12 PM

Well if you do not mind spending some cash try Xandros Home Premium. Easy set up and use. Also runs most MS programs including MSO.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

Would it support my wireless cards though? THAT is the key...
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#4 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

Give me a few :thumbsup:

#5 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:27 PM

Ok. Thanks.

#6 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:28 PM

From what I have read yes it does. I am not sure if this is true but from what I understand it will. Hope I've helped. (Sorry I'm not that informative hard to search for compatibility for a specific distro.)

-Steve

#7 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

Is there one I can use for free? I can't pay for a Linux OS right now

#8 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:38 PM

<LI>[list=1][*]Card: [Intel] PRO/Wireless 3945ABG[*]pciid: 8086:4222[/list][list][*]Driver: version 10.1.0.13 [url="http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-010623.htm"][148][/url] (w39n51.inf, unfortunatly the download is 80MB because it's packaged with "Intel PROset/Wireless software", and drivers for the 2200BG and 2915ABG)[*]Other: Tested on Gentoo Linux, with gentoo patched kernel 2.6.15-r1 (SMP hasn't been tested yet, I had some problems with it, so reverted to non-SMP). You need to patch your kernel to use 16K Stacks (rather than the default 8K). Patches can be found via LinuxAnt. I found mine at [url="http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/downloads-patches.php"][149][/url][/list]

Sorry it works on Gentoo

-Steve

Edited by need TOS, 19 February 2007 - 10:39 PM.

#9 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:04 AM

Ok, to set things straight, your wireless card will probably work with any of those distributions.
Linux is open source and a lot of the time the makers of wireless cards dont recognise linux and do not make drivers for it, so they are not integrated into linux distributions. And you have some difficult cards there.

What has happened is that some genius people made a program/module for the linux kernel called 'ndiswrapper' specially for unsupported wireless cards. What it does is takes the windows drivers for a wireless card (the .inf and .sys files) and 'wraps' a linux translator around it. So you could use almost any wireless card and connect to the internet and do mild networking stuff. This is probably the best solution for you. Check google for a guide on how to do this... theres a lot)

The problem with ndiswrapper though is that it does not allow users to enter 'monitor mode' which is used for cracking networks and other network security tools. You probably wont need this so ndiswrapper will probably be fine for you. To get monitor mode, you need linux/modded drivers.

Before you do ndiswrapper, check and see if your card manufacturer has released linux drivers. Broadcom for example has not released linux drivers OR their source code and it has led to Russian programmers having to reverse engineer their drivers. ;)

And also, Linux is open source. You shouldn't be charged or overcharged for it. Thats Microsofts job. There are many suitable, free distributions of linux out there.

Edit: Sorry, I guess some might charge you... but its not worth it. Get a free distribution, load drivers for wireless like I said above, and you can use a windows emulator like 'WINE' to run the windows programs. Or not...

Edited by nforce, 20 February 2007 - 01:10 AM.

#10 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:39 AM

Thanks nforce for your input :thumbsup:

I'm not a linux expert but I am experienced with it. I find that it was worth it to purchase my version of linux, but that is just me. The average user should probably just use a free distrobution.

-Steve

#11 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:10 AM

You can probably use some sort of script or something to get your wireless card working. I don't know if that one is specifically supported, but look into ndiswrapper if you haven't all ready. Ndiswrapper works with all distros, so if you find your card works with it, give it a try.
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:24 AM

hello,
I am trying to migrate over to Linux and my Intel Proset 3945ABG wireless network card is not being recognized in the major distros. I've tried Fedora, Debian Ubuntu, Kubuntu, & Freespire. Is there any hope for me?

Is there a distro that supports the following?

Realtek RTL839/810x Fast Family Ethernet

Realtek RTL839/810x Linux Drivers

and

Intel Proset 3945ABG Linux Drivers

I hope this is what you were looking for.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#13 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

Well, it is what I am looking for. Now I need to know how to install the ethernet card. Considering its in a zip folder...

--- Jesse

(dangit, the quote button messed up here. Sorry Acklan!)

[quote]
[/quote]

Intel Proset 3945ABG Linux Drivers

I hope this is what you were looking for.
[/quote]

Edited by Jesse Bassett, 20 February 2007 - 01:53 PM.

#14 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

From Linux you should just be able to double click the zip file and it should open up in whatever browser is used on that distro. Then on the left there should be an option to unzip or copy the files to a certain area.

-Steve

#15 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:04 PM

Your lucky that you found linux drivers. Like I said above, broadcom has not released linux drivers and so I can only use it with ndiswrapper. I like monitor mode so I'm trying to get the bcm43xx mod thing to work. Its giving me a heck of a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users