Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lag At Lan

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:16 PM

Me and my friends are having a lan party at my friends house who just got DSL a few days ago. We all got here hooked up to the internet (through a router) and it didn't work. It said connected on all the computers, but nothing worked. We realized that the light on the modem was flashing and its suppose to be solid. Eventually we got the light to stay solid and everyone got connection. Now everyones going real slow though... I tried one game and besides the fact I barely was able to connect, everyones ping to mine was between 2500-6000. My other friend got on World of Warcraft and his latency was 1900, when its usually 100 at his house. I know it should be going slower then normal but we have had lans before at each others houses (one house had the same internet connection as this). There are four of us by the way, and any help is greatly appreciated!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

to make any sense of real time on line gaming with multiple computers on the same connection, you need a T-1 or 2 connection.you may have a 10m connection, but the way packets travek back and forth it'll kill your ping. you should be able to DL ok, and surf fine, but only 1 on line gamer at a time or it'll lag like nutz. the T-1 line gives you multiple "smaller" connections that add up to a decent bandwidth, instead of one like dsl, PPPOE, PPTP. therefore giving multiple users better faster response, ping.
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users