Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burning Cd's

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Silver Fern

Silver Fern

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

A few months back I was able to "burn" my photos to CD with no problems at all, everything turned out ok.
The other day I played the same Cd only to find that all photos were now 'coasters' and were stills. :flowers:
I've since tried to copy and 'burn' my latest photos and the XP programme will now only copy to disc, ending up with all being coasters and no slideshow.
On searching for info I found this;
microsoft web site;
Fix a balky Burner and it goes on to say you shouldn't need to do anything special to get it working under Windows XP home edition (or professional). etc/etc
It then goes on, make sure that the feature is properly configured, which I have done and it ok.
It then says if the drive is configured correctly but you end up with coasters instead of readable CD's check to make sure Windows XP Service Pack 1 was installed. Problems in the original release of Windows XP resulted in problems with certain CD-R drives, these issues were fixed in SP1.
I don't appear to have SP1 update on my puter, strange becasue I have it set on automatic downloads, however I went to the update site and it tells me that I can't now download SP1 and SP1a isnot available unless you have SP1. :thumbsup:
I have SP2 update and it says all problems have been fixed with this update, obviously the CD burning problem has not.
Anyone able to advise or help. please.
Thx.

Edited by Silver Fern, 19 February 2007 - 08:57 PM.

Life is a journey not a destination;
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:55 PM

What kind of disks are you using? CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, etc
What did you use to burn the disks? Was it the built in Windows burner or another program?
Try this free tool to burn a disk. It doesn't require installation, so it'll avoid many of the problems that other programs have: http://www.silentnight2004.com/microburner.html Let us know if it works or not.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:01 PM

Thx. for your help, I used the programme in XP and used CD-R, CD-RW discs.

Edited by Silver Fern, 20 February 2007 - 10:29 PM.

Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:28 PM

Have you tried your earlier "coasters" on a different PC? Chances are your lens is dirty and you need to run a CD cleaner.

Also, what kind of program are you using to burn? Are you dragging and dropping files into a burnable folder or using something like Nero?

#5 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

The programme is Windows XP and I've been copying files into a folder then burning, as the manual says. I doubt if lens need cleaning as I've hardly played the discs. When I first copied and burned the photos to disc, a few months back, all went well, and when replayed all was great. when I next used the disc, months after, thats when I found the photos were now coasters and stills.

Edited by Silver Fern, 20 February 2007 - 10:35 PM.

Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#6 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:23 PM

I have since found that the problem lies with the Cd drive, by what I've been reading the same problem existed in 2002 and was fixed, I have to wonder at that as I bought my computer in 2004 and for some,the problem is still there, I went to the Hewlett Pakard site and it talks about the drive and what to do about it, so I'm hoping to get it all sussed out and download the "patch" or whatever it is.
They sure weren't very helpful when I was talking to them via the phone. :thumbsup:
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#7 fixit66

fixit66

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:53 PM

Can you post the link to where you found your fix. I am working on a HP that is experiencing the same problem. The CD Drive will not allow me to copy to blank media but I can burn MP3 via I-tunes. I will read disks that have had pictures copied to them but once again will not allow me to copy. Any suggestions?? Thanks

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:44 AM

Go to the HP support site and input the model number for the PC. On the download page there'll be a link for an update to the CD player if one is available.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:05 AM

:flowers: I know I'm off topic,but about auto updates on XP--I'm set 2. I have found now & then that I am not exactly up to date. Go to Micrsoftupdates.com and it will check automatically for you to see if your system is up to date. Sometimes there are optional updates also that you can install, some have been real handy. :thumbsup:
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#10 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:19 PM

I haven't had any success any fixing the problem, so I took it to the 'experts", they tell me that there isn't a problem with the drive that I should use the "Record Now' programme as they did, and not to use the HP user's guide manual that came with my computer.
They said that they didn't have any problems when using the Record Now programme, so it will be interesting to see .
It seems strange, but they should know. I guess time will tell.
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users