Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer - Favorites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:30 PM

I am trying to organize my Favorites Folder in alphabetical order. I have folders within this folder and individual Favorites on the list. The first 75% of the Favorites are in order; the ones that follow (ones I added recently) are in the order I added them.

How can I get the entire list in alphabetical order (files first, then the individual Favorites)?

Thank you.

polaris6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:41 PM

You could right click on the taskbar, go to toolbars and select links . Then go to the links on the task bar, right click on one of the favorites and select sort by name. You could also do this by adding links to your IE toolbar.

Another way to organize them is to go to your favorites folder located in C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Favorites and organizing them there.

Edited by Ronbo, 05 January 2005 - 04:42 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 dcanoli

dcanoli

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:01 PM

Okay, just readnig through this thread, and I don't get it...when I click on Links, as you suggest, my Favorites and all its contents don't show up.

The only things that show up are the standard MS/IE links...am I missing something? Thanks!

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:12 PM

Try this. Go to Favorites, scroll down and right click. Select sort by name.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:12 PM

Okay, just readnig through this thread, and I don't get it...when I click on Links, as you suggest, my Favorites and all its contents don't show up. 

The only things that show up are the standard MS/IE links...am I missing something?  Thanks!

My bad, I keep all my favorites inside the links folder which is inside the favorites folder itself so that they are all available to me from the links button. I have been doing this for so long that it just seems like the normal way the favorites folder is set up and I forgot that not everyone sets them up that way. Sorry about the confusion. :thumbsup:

I did some looking around and the only way to sort your favorites other than by hand is to go to the favorites menu on the top bar of your browser, not the button on the toolbar but the favorites menu between the tool menu and the view menu. Open this menu, right click on any favorite and select sort by name. I don't know how M$ has managed to screw up such a simple task, but they have. Sorry again about the confusion.

Edited by Ronbo, 09 January 2005 - 11:02 PM.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:04 PM

Just to say the sort by name works the best. It arranges them in a order from A-Z

Works fine that way and is easy to understand too.

#7 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:20 PM

Just to say the sort by name works the best. It arranges them in a order from A-Z

Works fine that way and is easy to understand too.

It works fine and is easy to understand but unfortunately you can not sort them automatically from the favorites sidebar or from within the favorites folder itself. You can only sort them by using the favorites menu on the top bar of the browser. A lot of people do not know this, I sure didn't until just a short while ago. This is another example of M$ apparently not knowing or not caring what the heck it is doing.

#8 dcanoli

dcanoli

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:55 PM

Thanks! Everything works now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users