Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Copy Xp-cd To Hard Drive Folder?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nathansdad04

nathansdad04

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:35 PM

I'm trying to create the UBCD4Win boot disk. http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm
I need to copy the XP CD contents into a new folder(that I create) so the build will run properly. Can I simply open up 2 MyComputer Panes (1 showing the D drive with XP contents and 1 showing the empty C drive folder I want to keep the XP files in) and just drag the files from one pane to the other?
I tried it once and somehow screwed it up. When I dragged individual files they showed a small pane 'copying i386 to i386' (or whatever file was being dragged). Maybe I missed dragging a file cause the iso build failed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:34 PM

Yes, it should be that simple.

however you need to be sure that you can see all the files.

In My Computer, select from the menu: Tools > Folder Options > View tab. Check that the show hidden files and folders radio button is selected and the hide protected operating system files is unchecked. Now try Copying.

Also, make sure the Windows XP disk is SP1 or greater. If not, then read this.

The UBCD4Win is a fabulous, useful, indispensible tool. I love it! The creator(s) should win the Nobel Proze, in my opinion. Thus: don't give up! You want this CD more than you know! :thumbsup:

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 19 February 2007 - 07:38 PM.

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:21 PM

When I open the XP CD in My Computer I go to Edit then select Select All then copy and paste the CD contents to the folder I created instead of dragging and dropping one file at a time.

Do make sure all files are showing as instructed above.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users