Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Sign In

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pgiambat

pgiambat

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

Hello all,
I'll try to make this short. It's all about the sign in screen with multiple users.
Computer: Dell, ordered 1 yr ago, P4, 1.5 GB Mem, 80GB HD, 250 GB HD added (internal), Win XP Media Center 2005.
We have 5 users on our PC: Me, the Wife and the 3 kids.
Each person signs in with their user account.
Everything runs great, fast and nice.
SOMETIMES... and I mean sometimes... after someone logs out of their user session the computer will sit at the user sign in screen (or goes to screensaver if it sits for over 10 minutes) then when someone goes to sign in, they click on their name and/or the icon, the white text box for the password pops up but there is NO cursor flashing waiting for you to type in your password. When you click in the text box after it comes up you still do not get a cursor.
Doesn't happen all the time and cannot find a pattern.

I'm a Software Eng., former PC builder and keep our PC very clean. This is not a junked-up box.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks,
Pat in Nebraska

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:29 PM

Hello all,
I'll try to make this short. It's all about the sign in screen with multiple users.
Computer: Dell, ordered 1 yr ago, P4, 1.5 GB Mem, 80GB HD, 250 GB HD added (internal), Win XP Media Center 2005.
We have 5 users on our PC: Me, the Wife and the 3 kids.
Each person signs in with their user account.
Everything runs great, fast and nice.
SOMETIMES... and I mean sometimes... after someone logs out of their user session the computer will sit at the user sign in screen (or goes to screensaver if it sits for over 10 minutes) then when someone goes to sign in, they click on their name and/or the icon, the white text box for the password pops up but there is NO cursor flashing waiting for you to type in your password. When you click in the text box after it comes up you still do not get a cursor.
Doesn't happen all the time and cannot find a pattern.

I'm a Software Eng., former PC builder and keep our PC very clean. This is not a junked-up box.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks,
Pat in Nebraska

I had this problem when I upgraded to XP Pro (I also have dell with multiple users) I went back to Home SP2 and everything worked fine. Have you upgraded?

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

Ive had this happen to me a few times, a rboot will fix it for me. Anyone no of a fix?
MCP
MSDST

#4 pgiambat

pgiambat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:17 AM

Forgot to mention... When this happens, we jut reboot and all is well again.

The computer came with the op system installed from Dell, SP2 and all.

Thanks for the replies.

Pat

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:21 AM

Do you have fast user switching turned on? I have seen the exact same problem with fast user switching on in conjunction with one of the users running programs like aol instant messaging.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 pgiambat

pgiambat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:14 PM

Old Fart,
I will check if I have fast switching enabled and play with it to see what happens.
Thanks, I'll post in a day or so.

Pat

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:42 AM

Additional thought:

make sure that simple file sharing is turned off.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:45 PM

This started happening to me after a Windows Update. I am running XP Home SP2, have always had fast user switching enabled but never saw this until about three months ago, right after a round of updates.

Sorry to say I've done quite a bit of searching on the internet, but not found a solution. If anybody here knows one I'd be very grateful.

I do have a workaround.

As an alternative to rebooting, highlight your username and press <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Del> twice. That will take you to the conventional Windows logon window and you can type in your password.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users