Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Ports Have Failed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wrhatt

wrhatt

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:26 PM

I have a Dell 9100 and the onboard USB ports do not work. When I boot the computer it stops at the log on page because the mouse and key board connect through USB ports and I can't click on my log in button. Does anyone have a way to work around this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:29 PM

Has this always been the case? Did it happen suddenly? Did you recently upgrade from Windows XP Home to Windows XP pro?

#3 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:02 AM

Well I now have a new computer (and online access again). It turns out that when the USB ports failed, it was the mother board going bad. When I turned off the computer after posting this question the Dell 9100 never started again. Well actually it started but with no USB ports there was no way to communicate with the computer (mouse and key board were hooked up to the USB ports).

#4 jdukze

jdukze

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:04 AM

TRY CONNECTING A PS2 KEYBOARD AND MOUSE, TURN ON THE DELL PC,
HOLD DOWN THE DEL KEY TILL YOU ENTER THE START UP (CMOS SETTINGS)
THAT IS WHERE YOU FIND THE OPTIONS TO ENABLE USB PORTS FOR KEYBOARD AND MOUSE AND ETC.
MAKE SURE YOU SAVE BEFORE EXITING.
UNPLUG THE PS2 KEYBOARD AND MOUSE AND CONNECT YOUR USB ONES AND SEE IF IT WORKS.
THIS WILL SURELY SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:23 AM

Well I now have a new computer (and online access again). It turns out that when the USB ports failed, it was the mother board going bad. When I turned off the computer after posting this question the Dell 9100 never started again. Well actually it started but with no USB ports there was no way to communicate with the computer (mouse and key board were hooked up to the USB ports).

As a work around, you could buy a pci-usb card. It'll give you 4 usb ports in the back of the computer that work like regular usb ports, but are connected through your pci slot. Shouldn't be to much money (I paid $20 for one a few years ago at radio shack).
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users