Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Freezing Regularly - Help Please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OPJ

OPJ

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:13 PM

Hello, I'm new to these forums and I'm looking for help with a serious problem on my PC which has been driving us nuts for the past month or so.

My computer (using Windows XP SP2) keeps on crashing whenever I'm connected to the internet. After roughly one hour (the first time), everything goes still and motionless, so I'm left to hit the reboot button.
After restarting Windows, I reload my browser, connect, and this time it'll crash within between five and ten minutes. Hit reboot again, and the same still keeps happening.

I also find it lasts longer if I fully shut-down first and then restart. The browser's I've experienced this problem with are Internet Explorer 7 (firstly) and Firefox, which has since become my favourite and default browser - everything's so much fast in the Firefox world, I love it!

We also have a BT Yahoo! browser on our system, which I don't use, but it often seems to out run both of the aforementioned browsers in succesful, crash-free run time, sometimes not even crashing at all. But, each to his own, of course. :thumbsup:

I've run all the Spyware and Anti-Virus programs we have (including Spybot S&D, Windows Defender, AdAware SE, Avast! AntiVirus, Zone Alarm Firewall, Registry Toolkit) and although they seem to produce results from time to time, I can't seem to find whatever it is I am looking for.

I don't know where to look, which is why I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me - surely, there must be someone out there who's been in a similar situation themselves?

It could a bad file going undetected from each scan (I update regularly) or perhaps something simpler like a band Browser Add-On... If someone can please give me some advice here I'd be most grateful.

Thank you. And I apologise if I haven't provided enough information already.

:flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:30 PM

Please do the following : START RUN type eventvwr and look for red crosses and post them here. There could be any cause of this.

#3 OPJ

OPJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 04:46 PM

Hi fozzie, thanks for that.

I've had a good look and well, quite frankly, there's an awful lot of them in there!! :thumbsup:

I'd assume this is a bad thing... Though, I'll try and post some of them here very soon.

Thanks for helping.

#4 OPJ

OPJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:02 AM

Okay. Again, I apologise for the delay in my response, but here are some of the things that are regularly cropping up in the list.

First of all, in the Application folder:

Application Hang, Category (101), Event 1002 (This one appears the most)

Application Error, Category None, Event 1000 (This one only four times)

There are also a lot of Warnings for Userenv, Event 1517.

Security folder is empty.

System folder:

Service Control Manager, None, Event 7000

Service Control Manager, None, Event 7009
(Both of these are most prominent in the list)

DCOM, None, 10010
(Appears only four times)

In the Antivirus folder, it's full of only avast!, Client, 90 errors.

Internet Explorer has no items to show.

Hopefully this information will help. Thank you.

Edited by OPJ, 04 March 2007 - 06:04 AM.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:36 AM

As far as event 1002 read this. You have to find out which application is hanging..

#6 OPJ

OPJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for this.

I can't seem to find an error that matches the exact time at which my computer last crashed/froze on Monday, but maybe it could be related to a Warning of a similar time?

I'll have a good look at all my Errors using the site you've provided and see how I go.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users