Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

index.dat

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 magicmunchkin

magicmunchkin

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:12 PM

Hi This may be a strange question but i'm looking for an easy to use safe way to delete index.dat files and the cookies stored in documents and settinings for ALL users of my computer. the ones i have tried only delete the ones on my programs and not the other users. I'm running winxp home sp1 IE6 and i'm the only one with an admin. account. All in all just an easy way to get rid of the nasty little things.
Thanks in advance
Magic
Have a Great Day!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:44 PM

Try this:

http://www.it-mate.co.uk/support/idsuite.asp

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:28 AM

Hi magic, long time no see. :thumbsup:

Don't you have System Security Suite? Can't remember if I recommended it to you at MW or not, but you can delete index.dat's from any account by using its "User Defined Folders" function. Index.dat suite sounds like a fine program and I've been meaning to check it out and now I've looked at the Instructions on how to run it. Sounds a bit complicated and you have to make a boot disk and run from DOS. etc. 3S I think would be easier. (No offense Grinler)

Here's how you could use it:

Open 3S and click on the User Defined Folders tab.

Click the Add button. Now browse to the folder with an index.dat file in it that you want to delete. Most cookies will be in C:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Cookies. Temporary Internet Files will be in C:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files. History also has a folder in Local Settings that contains an index.dat file. Add any of these folders you want to be emptied to the list. Of course, if you have users named Harry and Jane, for Harry you would add C:\Documents and Settings\Harry\Cookies, for Jane C:\Documents and Settings\Jane\Cookies, etc.

Put checkmarks by the folders you want to be emptied.

Click the Delete button. The index.dat files contained in the folders specified will be deleted on reboot.
OR, under the Items to clear tab, put a check by User defined folders and click Clear Selected Items.

If you want, you can delete only the index.dat's from each folder listed. Click on the folder to select it and then click Edit button. In the Files field, the default file mask is "*.*", which will delete all files in that folder. If you substitute "index.dat", only that file will be deleted from the folder.

I use 3S's User Defined Folders option for deleting other users' TIF's and another purpose. Earthlink makes its cookie folder in each user's Earthlink Application Data directory so the default cookie folder is usually empty. So now I use 3S's User Defined Folders to clear those cookies.

You'll have to be logged on as an administrator for this to work and show hidden files in order to see the Local Settings folder and index.dat's.

Hope that helps.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users