Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Shortcut Appearing On Destop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tinman9898

tinman9898

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:08 AM

I have shortcut called 'blank' which keeps appearing on my desktop. I delete it but some time later it reappears. When I open it with notepad I see the following...

# Helix Cookie File
# http://www.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html
# This is a generated file! Do not edit.

bbc.co.uk TRUE / FALSE 1298017206 BBC-UID 74856d99d57dabb68e995667a0f01a0fba2e319220a0e0b3fb7a6fdddd5febc90RMA%2f1%2e0%20%28compatible%3b%20RealMedia%29

I run ccleaner regularly and mru blaster. I also run adaware, avg antivirus, avg antispyware, a-squared, adaware, spywareblaster, spyware doctor,spybot search and destroy, super antispyware.

It would appear to be a BBC cookie in realplayer but how do I get rid of it (permanently) short of uninstalling real player?

Also when I shut down windows I get a probedis.exe error which is related to my us robotics dial up modem. I have tried using the latest driver from us robotics but still the same problem. The only way I can fix it is to disable the driver on startup which then renders the modem useless (this was the solution from us robotics themselves!!!)

any help on the above would be much appreciated....Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:16 AM

Posted Image tinman. Have you tried to scan in safe mode?

#3 tinman9898

tinman9898
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:27 AM

yes, several times....I have also tried repairing the registry and cleaning up partially deleted software from my hard drive....

any more advice appreciated....thanks

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:28 AM

Right click the file, and select Properties.
Make sure it's not set to Read-only.
If it is, uncheck it, click Apply, and click OK.
Now try to delete it.

If none of the above works, here are a couple of programs, you can try:

Eraser
Unlocker
Delete DEoctor

There's also this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article that might be helpful:
How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP

#5 tinman9898

tinman9898
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:39 AM

"Right click the file, and select Properties.
Make sure it's not set to Read-only.
If it is, uncheck it, click Apply, and click OK.
Now try to delete it."

I have tried this before but no joy....I will try the progs. you recommended and get back to you....Thanks for your continuing help....

#6 tinman9898

tinman9898
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:09 AM

update...i have tried deleting the desktop icon with the programmes as advised above and shredded it with other fine programmes but it keeps coming back on my desktop randomly.....

still with the following info in notepad...

# Helix Cookie File
# http://www.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html
# This is a generated file! Do not edit.

bbc.co.uk TRUE / FALSE 1298017206 BBC-UID 74856d99d57dabb68e995667a0f01a0fba2e319220a0e0b3fb7a6fdddd5febc90RMA%2f1%2e0%20%28compatible%3b%20RealMedia%29

I have tried finding it's target but it doesn't appear to have one....

more help much appreciated....

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:51 AM

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck - it must be a duck" This thing has lot's of spyware traits even though it may not be classified as spyware. I'd stay away from that site!!!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users