Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm And Azureus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hairyspheers

hairyspheers

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:06 AM

Hey guys, got a problem that hopefully one of you can help me with.

I installed ZoneAlarm today, and pretty much since the minute I did, there has been an endless stream of "Security Alerts". I have Azureus installed, and I think that's what might be causing the problem. However, Azureus is not open at the moment nor am I U/P or D/L anything. From what I have seen, the protocol is mostly UDP if that helps. ZoneAlarm did detect however, what it categorized to be 3 "high-rated" intrusions out of the 9820 intrusions it has blocked thus far, the rest have been "medium".

Now I was wondering, if there is someway for me to allow Azureus to "do what it does" without lowering the security setting for ZoneAlarm, which is currently set to high for "Internet Zone".

And should I be concerned at all about those 3 "high-rated" intrusions that were blocked. Up until this this point, I was using the default Windows firewall and using Internet Explorer, which is apparently the least secure browser I could have chosen to use.

I'd appreciate any help that you guys can provide.

Thanks,
hairyspheers

Edited by hairyspheers, 19 February 2007 - 08:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:21 AM

Posted Image hairyspears. A few notes :

- If you want to be sure you closed Azeurus you have to CTRL ALT DEL and see whether it is still running.
- If you double click the ZA icon in your taskbar and go to programs, you can add Azeurus to your trusted programs.
- Did you do the portforwarding?

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:12 PM

Also, are these alerts for outgoing or incoming traffic? Zone Alarm will alert you to both if you have configured your notification that way. I suspect that these are incoming alerts as the word ZA used is intrusion. 'Intrusion' is related to the word 'intruder.' In short, ZA blocked an intruder which is what it should be doing. Of course if it was an invited guest, you need to inform ZA of that :flowers: .

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 19 February 2007 - 03:15 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 hairyspheers

hairyspheers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:15 AM

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been pretty busy the past couple of days.

OK, so from what I can tell Azureus is not running. I checked the processes that are running in my Task Manager
and didn't see anything remotely close to Azureus. I'm assuming it would have looked something like Azureus.exe, or something close to it.

I checked off Azureus in the trusted and internet boxes under the "Access" column as well as the "Server" column, and it has had no effect on the frequency at which I'm receiving these alerts.

I should note that the Security Alerts are not specifying Azureus as the program trying to make the intrusion in the alerts, and accordingly, the "Program" column in the log is vacant as well.

Oh, and not to sound like too much of a noob, but I have no idea what portforwarding is?

And yeah, all the security alerts have been for incoming traffic. Although, ZoneAlarm has asked me when a program is trying to access the internet, usually if it's the first time I have opened it since installing ZoneAlarm.

Thanks for replying and for the warm welcome,
hairyspheers

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,113 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:26 AM

Have you ever clicked on the more information link in the alerts? You will be taken to a website that has three or four tabs depending which will provide you with more information about what and who was trying to get into your computer. Azureus has nothing to do with it. The internet is full of a lot of static as it were, and some of that static traffic is trying to get in. Also, there are deliberate port scans and other things that try to get into your computer. The firewall is blocking that and is telling you about the blocks. It is nothing on your computer that is triggering the attempted intrusions.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:51 AM

Oh, and not to sound like too much of a noob, but I have no idea what portforwarding is?

Check out this site A good article by Wikipedia

#7 hairyspheers

hairyspheers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:59 AM

Hey guys,

So first off, I did take a look at the details of a couple of the alerts listed in the log. Some of them were port scans, and a couple of the ones I looked at earlier said something about data packets being sent to me, which is what made think it might be Azureus. I thought it might be other users trying to connect to me to see if I was uploading anything, kind of a noob to Azureus as well.

Also, as I stated earlier, I was using the default Windows firewall, which doesn't alert you about any unsolicited internet traffic. I gotta say, I was really in the dark as to the amount of unsolicited traffic or "noise" that's out there, which "hopefully" the default firewall was blocking up until I installed ZoneAlarm. I guess I saw all those alerts and I freaked.

In any case, Azureus is working fine at the moment and so is ZoneAlarm, so everything's peachy.

Thank's for helping out this noob in his time of need,
hairyspheers

Edited by hairyspheers, 24 February 2007 - 07:01 AM.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,113 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:37 PM

Glad everything's hunky-dorry for you.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users