Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How 2 Use Unix In Xp Home Sp2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:10 PM

hi i want to use unix in my xp home sp2 laptop to manage my work from home besides working on the Mac systems in office. I am familier with SSH and PUtty softwares to access my office system (entire work including software packages) and work in UNIX mode from my laptop. everything is fine but, i could not able to create a new window from the command line with both softwares. myself being an phd student in geophysics, i need to process lot of earthquake data for which unix software is necessary for all. i need to prepare some scripts to run automatically for processing huge junks of data. it requires opening of a new window automatically to show up the result which is a lacking feature in both softwares. so if any one suggest how to solve my problem, you will be the life and time saver for me.

I also tried to install VMWare software (someone suggested) to download and run unix directly, but failed, i dont know how to use it, so i uninstalled it again. kindly dont ask me to install Linux operation system or run linux directly from cd, fed up with that and i dont want to switch over all the time i finished my work or in between my work.

i dont know whether i can post this topic in this forum, but your small and great suggestion/knowledge will helps me lot in many ways. I found that this is one of the best forum which get the replies/suggestions very quickly after posting. so i am waiting for your valuable replies.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:49 AM

By ruling out Linux, BSD, any other Unix-like OS you are eliminating your options. If this project is that important then I would recommend a second computer, dedicated to running Unix. You can down load a free version of Sun's Solaris 10. A used computer that has no OS or a SPARC system will only run $150 or less. You could even tie the two systems together with a KVM.
Another plus to this approach is I am not aware of many (in my case) if any virus' for the SPARC format.
I am not trying to be flip. I am trying to help but what you as is difficult with what you have requested.
Do you have a copy of Unix you can install? What are the computing requirements of your project?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:03 AM

As acklan suggested,

Your best bet is to get a computer that has no os on it and just install your os on it, or add another hard drive.

For what you're trying to do, and to be starting out at it on an os, I'd just use whatever fast enough computer I have, and just load my Unix/Linux on it. For the processing and all of the data manipulations you have to do.. it shouldn't be affected.

I have a Unix running on a 750MHz, 500+ RAM, and nothing else special at all. And running plenty of web servers at one time.

You need to buy you a hard drive, and just dedicate it to your Unix system and install it and not run it from disc. Even if you have one CPU, you can always run each os separately, but yet and still have quite a few os systems that you can run. Just plug in the hard drive/os you want to use, and you're good to go.

#4 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:17 AM

I know there are other options than that. I understand and if I had a similar problem, I would hate having to switch from linux to windows and stuff.

I'm not sure how to do it, but I think you can do a dual boot with windows and Linux.(maybe). But I think it would mean that it boots windows and linux at the same time and you can set a hotkey or something to easily switch between them. Im not exactly sure that this is what the dual boot method is, but that is what I have interpreted it as. Google it.

Another option is a Linux/Unix emulator on windows. I just did a quick search on google and found this http://www.colinux.org/
Maybe something similar to this is what your looking for.

Edited by nforce, 19 February 2007 - 10:19 AM.

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

One of the better options is cygwin
http://cygwin.com/
It allows you to run a UNIX environment in your Windows session.
I think this is what you are looking for.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:44 PM

hi nforce, i think i should install different operating system colinux for it, also in the webpage, it is mentioned that the software is not yet ready. but thanks for showing a good link, so that i can suggest to some.

hi walkman and acklan, it is true that the suggestion given is fantastic. but i just need freedom of staying at one place and working. coz, if i take a normal system again, there would be no wireless internet for it, which i am using right now, coz our flat mates are not intereseted in having internet for the flat. so i am using my university wireless as i stay very near to it. almost my flatmates are following the same and hence neglecting the normal internet. besides this, if i think of laptop with the requirements i am looking for, all my problems will be resolved. for this 'Raw' have suggested this site which is pretty much what i am looking for. thanks to him and this forum for the timely and quick replies and help. i am very gratefull to all of you. it is really worthfull and exactly suits my needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users