Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tast Manager Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:25 PM

hi, i am encoutered with the error msg stating "taskmanager is disabled by the administrator" and could not able to open the tast manager either by pressing ctrl + alt + del or by right clicking from the sys tray. it is disabled in the menu when i press right click. i am the only person who uses my laptop and never logged on into administrator account to disable it. so kindly help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

Here is the solution provided by Microsoft. If you have been locked out by your administrator this will not be effective. I know you stated this is your computer but I want to make it clear for those who may not have Administrative Rights.
Here is a little warning. Please heed it..

Posted ImageUse Extreme Caution!!Posted Image

Modifying your registry can damage your operating system beyond repair!

Before proceeding, backup your registry! NOW!!

Recommended registry utility. ERUNT Registry Backup

Edited by acklan, 18 February 2007 - 10:45 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

thanks very much for the quick suggetion acklan. i will try this and let u know by tomorrow. cheers

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:23 PM

These might help.

#35 Creates copies of REGEDIT, MSCONFIG and Task Manager

#51 (to the right column) Enable the Task Manager - Disable the Task Manager
#113 Enble the Task Manager - Disable - Repair

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

#35 downloads this zip which is also here:

xp_emegencyutil.exe - Creates usable copies of REGEDIT, MSCONFIG and Task Manager
v1.2 - 07/26/2004
© Doug Knox

This small VB 6 utility will create a usable backup copy of Taskmgr.exe, MSConfig.exe and Regedit.EXE in a new folder, called C:\EmergencyUtils. The new copies will be named Copy_of_Taskmgr.exe, Copy_of_MSConfig.exe and Copy_of_Regedit.com.

These programs are extremely helpful, and usually necessary in helping to rid your computer of a viral infection. Many virus programs will intercept these programs, based on their original file name, and prevent them from running. The alternate copies will not encounter this problem. Simply navigate to the C:\EmergencyUtils folder and double click the file you need to run.

To use: Download the xp_emergencyutil.zip file and save it to your hard drive. Double-click the xp_emergencyutil.zip file and extract xp_emergencyutil.exe to your hard disk. To run the EXE just double click it, there is no installer. You will have the option of running the programs automatically, after the copies are created.

NOTE: Your antivirus software may warn of a potentially malicious script. This is normal, as the Windows Scripting Host is used to create the "copies" of these 3 utilities.

Operating Systems: Windows® XP and Windows® Server 2003 only. Requires VB 6 Runtime Libraries, included in Windows® XP.
http://dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

#5 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

thank you so much mommabear and acklan. my taskmanager is working again after following your guidance. kudos to this forum. thanks again for the very informative sites.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:58 PM

You are wecome.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users