Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Empty "install Shield" Window

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ratcat

ratcat

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:53 PM

Anybody know what this is? The icon appears in the system tray and when clicked produces this empty "install shield" Window

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,062 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:12 PM

Which icon are you referring to: the one that looks like a computer with sound waves going out, the one that looks like a drop of water falling into a pond, the one that looks like a sea shell, or the one that looks like a calculator?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 ratcat

ratcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:22 PM

Which icon are you referring to: the one that looks like a computer with sound waves going out, the one that looks like a drop of water falling into a pond, the one that looks like a sea shell, or the one that looks like a calculator?

Drop of water in pond.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:41 PM

Find that icon in the control panel and double click on it to open it. Click on the settings tab and you will have the option to choose to let it run or not. Hope it is not blank like what is opening on your desk top. I and a lot of other users prefer not to allow that service to run. Prefer knowing what and when updates happen.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 ratcat

ratcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:12 AM

Find that icon in the control panel and double click on it to open it. Click on the settings tab and you will have the option to choose to let it run or not. Hope it is not blank like what is opening on your desk top. I and a lot of other users prefer not to allow that service to run. Prefer knowing what and when updates happen.

Unfortunately I don't see that icon in my control panel.

Posted Image

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,062 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:32 AM

Hello ratcat:

Interesting. The icon in your tray does look like the one for "program updates" that I find in my control panel - and I switched it to classic view to see if it still showed and it did. Given that you don't have that icon in your control panel, I'm suspicious that you have a baddie on board especially since I once had a baddie that had an icon that looked like that, but it didn't show up in my system tray.

Try this and see what happens:

Download AVG AntiSpyware 7.5 (formerly Edwido) found here: http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
Directions for use in both normal and safe modes are provided here by our own quietman7:
http://www.castlecops.com/t137442-CCSP_Ewi...structions.html
You will also find the directions to disable the real-time scanning which I would advise doing right away as it is only available for the paid version which the free version is like for the first 30 days. I would suggest doing the scan in safe mode after setting up the proper scanning selections.
---
Here is a brief summary for installation and set-up. If scanning in safe-mode, set-up in Normal mode first, then reboot into safe-mode:
Double click the avg-setup file to begin installation and follow the prompts.
When the program has been installed, and you click the Finish button, AVG A-S will open.

Updating AVG Anti-Spyware:

* By default AVG A-S is configured to update automatically so, if you have an active internet connection, it should do so following installation. If you are unsure whether or not it has done so, do the following: Click the Update icon at the top and under "Manual Update" - click the Start update button.
* Either AVG A-S will update or inform you that no update was available.

Disabling the Resident Shield:
* By default the Resident Shield is active but as it may interfere with the process of cleaning your PC, it will need to be disabled.
(When the PC has been cleaned you can activate the shield again, if you wish.)
* Click the Shield icon at the top and under "Resident shield is..." - click active.
* This should now change to inactive.

Changing Recommended Actions
* Click the Scanner icon at the top and then click the Settings Tab.
* Under "How to act?" click Recommended actions and select "Quarantine" from the menu.

And for scanning:
Ensure that ALL open Windows / Programs / Folders are closed and then run AVG A-S.

* If it is not already selected, click the Scanner icon at the top and then select the Scan Tab.
* Click "Complete System Scan"
* While the scan is in progress the PC should be left otherwise idle.
* When the scan has completed, any threats that AVG A-S has detected will be displayed.
* Click the Apply all actions button at the bottom.
* When AVG A-S has finished, it will display the message "All actions have been applied".

Saving a report:
* Click the Save Report button at the bottom left and the "Reports" window will open.
* The content of the scan report will be displayed in the right hand pane and a copy will be automatically saved as Report-Scan-date-time.txt into the C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\Reports folder.

Close AVG Anti-Spyware.

+++++++++++++++++++
Next:
Download and install SUPERAntiSpyware free found here: http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

Be sure to click on the download button to the left, not on the free trial download on the right.

Install it and double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.
It will ask if you want to update the program definitions, click Yes.
Under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
Click the Scanning Control tab.
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked:
o Close browsers before scanning
o Scan for tracking cookies
o Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
o Please leave the others unchecked.
o Click the Close button to leave the control center screen.
On the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer.
On the left check C:\Fixed Drive.
On the right, under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
Click Next to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
After the scan is complete a summary box will appear. Click OK.
Make sure everything in the white box has a check next to it, then click Next.
It will quarantine what it found and if it asks if you want to reboot, click Yes.
To retrieve the removal information for me please do the following:
o After reboot, double-click the SUPERAntispyware icon on your desktop.
o Click Preferences. Click the Statistics/Logs tab.
o Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
o It will open in your default text editor (such as Notepad/Wordpad).

Now you can investigate what it found - or didn't find.
+++++++++++++++
See what these programs find and whether this causes that mystery icon to disappear.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:34 AM

First try to find what it is. Rightclick propperties and post what you find.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:44 AM

The one in your top right corner---for automatic updates---I believe that is the one.

DISREGARD the above----Orange Blossom is right---different function

Edited by buddy215, 19 February 2007 - 03:14 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,062 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:42 PM

The one in your top right corner---for automatic updates---I believe that is the one.

When I go to classic view with my control panel I have both the automatic updates icon - the one with the globe and the four colored windows logo - and the program updates icon - the one with the drop falling in the pond. The automatic updates icon is only for windows, so I think it is unrelated to the icon ratcat has in his system tray.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#10 ratcat

ratcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:14 PM

Both programs found only tracking cookies. Nothing to explain the icon and window. I should say though that it appears only sporadically.

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,062 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

Hmm. Do you have anything set to update automatically? If so, which programs? Can you tell if this icon appears when one of those programs is updating?
----------
Okay, so two very good anti-spyware programs didn't find anything but a few tracking cookies. Let's try this as this is what found the bad icon on my system last year.

This is going to be a 'second opinion' anti-virus scan done on-line. The scan is free. Viruses will be removed, but cookies, spyware and malware will not be. No need to purchase the program, just save the log. If it finds anything besides cookies, post the log as a response. You will need to enter your e-mail address and country and state or province. You will need to use Internet Explorer for this. You will need to allow pop-ups for that site, and you will also need to install and Active X and allow it to run. Look for an alert bar in the top of the browser.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm - Panda ActiveScan At the bottom of that page is a button "Scan your PC". Click on the button. This will open the pop-up that asks for your e-mail and country and state or province. Also, make sure that there is a green dot by "I do not want . . . " in order to avoid marketing stuff. I think the directions after that are pretty clear. Just make sure that you choose a full system scan. Be sure to temporarily disable your anti-virus while it's downloading and scanning to prevent conflicts. Needless to say, don't go surfing elsewhere while this goes on. It will take quite a bit of time.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#12 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:29 PM

This one really has me thinking ....

How about using the Windows Search Engine to search for Install Shield?
Would be interesting to see what comes up.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#13 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:51 AM

Have you done this?

#14 ratcat

ratcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:38 PM

Have you done this?

Hasn't come up again yet. In the past it showed a very small window with just blanks right near the task bar when right clicked. Double clicking produced the large blank window I posted. I'm wondering if it's something that got only partially uninstalled and is trying to update and finding files missing? anyway I'll run Panda when I get home tonight.

#15 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:33 PM

Do you have Nero INCD on your computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users