Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Saving .cfg Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TylerMN

TylerMN

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

Ok so i just got a new laptop, with vista and so far love it! i am a huge Flight Simulator player so of course i went to install it on my new machine. I installed it and am loving it but i wanted to get back some of my other downloaded files from my old PC. I used a jump drive to transfer and everything worked great. Now though i need to edit a aircraft's configuration file in order to delete some planes that i had. I opened up the file using notepad, just like i did in Xp, i edited it, and then click save

now the problem occurs, it says " unable to save, check the file path" and when i look at the save style it says it trys to save it as a .TXT, not a .CFG file. I need to know how to edit and save .CFG files so that i can edit my flight simulator

any help is greatly apprciated!

tyler
"I'd take my sweater off but i'm affraid its attached to my skin"- Brain "Family Guy"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:33 PM

Usually a .cfg file is just a text file with a different extension. Try saving it as a .cfg file (retyping the extension). If that doesn't work, then save it as a .txt - and rename it to .cfg once you get it on your desktop.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

Ok i tried saving it as .txt, it said that it cannot do it because it cannot locate path, it then prompt me to save it in another location, i saved it as a .txt in documents.

when i went to documents it shows it is a .cfg file, i guess i will just have to do that!

thanks for the help!!!!!

Tyler
"I'd take my sweater off but i'm affraid its attached to my skin"- Brain "Family Guy"

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:56 PM

Could it be that your jump drive is write protected?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

I dont think so because when i edit it, the file is already in the FS file on vista

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users