Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Svchost, Services, Mpfsrv, Mclogsrv...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ZosoCub

ZosoCub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:58 PM

My appologies if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find a solid answer using the search option.

Every five seconds or so my computer goes nuts. When I open up task manager, the following processes are taking up significant CPU usage. Sometimes it's only 30% of CPU, sometimes it's 100%:

SVCHOST.EXE
SERVICES.EXE
MpfSrv.exe
MCLOGSRV.EXE
Mcshield.exe
McNASvc.exe

I am running Windows XP Service Pack 2; let me know what other information you need to know. ANY help would be much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:27 AM

Posted Image. The first two COULD be part of the operating system. The last 4 are part of the McAfee security software. When these go up to 100% what are you doing? Are you using P2P programs? What kind of other security software do you have running ?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:07 AM

svchost.exe is a generic host process name for a group of services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). This is a valid system process that belongs to the Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. It runs from the registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost where details of the services running under each instance of svchost.exe can be found. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. It is not unusual for multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time in Task manager in order to optimise the running of the various services. Determining whether svchost.exe is malware or a legitimate Windows process depends on the location (path) it is running from. The legit svchost.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

services.exe is the Services Control Manager process which interacts with and manages the operation of starting and stopping system services that are run as processes, as opposed to those run in svchost.exe. It also deals with the automatic starting of services during the computers boot-up and the stopping of services during shut-down. Determining whether services.exe is malware or a legitimate Windows process depends on the location (path) it is running from. The legit services.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 ZosoCub

ZosoCub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:14 PM

Yeah I know what each of the processes do or what they're associated with, but their activity on my comp is quite suspicious. Yes actually I forgot to mention that in my first post but the problem occurs the most frequent and most drastic when I'm running, or immediately after running, a P2P program. The problem tends to calm down after not running the P2P program for awhile. I'm not running any other security software

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:45 PM

Read this topic Simple steps to keep your computer secure by Grinler about additional safety. Please post back in case of any questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users