Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choosing An Anti-virus And Firewall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jfirestorm44

jfirestorm44

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:13 PM

Ok so I've been debating weather I wanted to go with AVG or F-secure for my AV. I know there both good products but I don't know if one has a hand up one the other. Or is there something out there that's better? Any opinions?

Also what about a good firewall? I noticed Grisoft and F-secure also had a firewall but I'm not sure if it would be better than windows firewall. Of course to some people anything is better than Windows firewall. Is there a highly recommended firewall that's not going to slow down my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:33 PM

Windows firewall only checks incoming packets; a fully featured firewall will check those as well as outgoing packets; the latter prevents malware from "calling home" if it ever gets on your hard drive.

I have used AVG for several years with great success. As long as an AV provides real-time protection, has frequent definition updates, and is fairly easy to use, you have many from which to choose. Since these are free, you can download, install, and update one of them at a time and see which you prefer.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:27 AM

I also have used AVG Ree Edition for several years. As far as a firewall I like use and recommend SyGate 5.6
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:10 AM

Here is a great article on computer safety which covers all basics.

#5 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:33 AM

fsecure has a high rate of detection. according to www.virus.gr, only kaspersky is better, but i also heard that fsecure uses the kaspersky engine. i would go with fsecure for anti-virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users