Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem deleting Windwos Adtools

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Haephaistos

Haephaistos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:51 PM

I have a spooky problem with Winadtools.
Lavasoft Adaware will find the registry entry calling the program, attempt to delete it, but fail. It's always there again on a subsequent pass

Spybot will not even find the registry entry.

I tried unistalling Windows AdTools through the Control Panel but only got the message that there has been an attempted uninstall and nothing left to delete.

Indeed, there is no directory C:\Program Files\Windows AdTools

If I use Hijackthis, I can see the registry entery that calls Windows AdTools. If I use "fix" to attempt to delete it, it simply reappears on the next Hijackthis scan. Any other entry deleted with "fix" goes. So Hijack this is working fine in trying to edit the registry but something is operating in the background to stop the entry being removed. I also don't know where the registry entry is calling the program from if its directory has gone. I tried searching for a file winadtools.exe throughout the hard drive and Windows could not find it.

The problem is that thing is still eating quite a lot of procssing resources. My computer is old and short of memory, so I now can't even use Word. It's a complete pain.

I attach a copy of the most recent Hijackthislog, which just keeps showing up the entry for Windadtools under 04-HKLM\.... etc

Any ideas?

Best wishes, Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 02:34 PM

First follow the instructions found here:

How to remove wintools

THen post a copy of your latest hijackthis log as a reply to this topic and I will tell you what to do.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 02:41 PM

First follow the instructions found here:

How to remove wintools

THen post a copy of your latest hijackthis log as a reply to this topic and I will tell you what to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users