Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Internet Not Connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MongoJerry36

MongoJerry36

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:37 PM

Hello,
My laptop has had recent problems with its connection such as being stuck at "acquiring network address". It will sit there for 10-20 mins or until I shut off the computer and it never goes away. I did some research and found out that there was something in the registry. I followed the steps and Microsoft told me to delete a registry key. I did that and restarted. Now nothing is connected and the only thing in the network connection folder is Local Area Connection. I also did not back up the registry, which now I realize was not smart. I tried to re-enter the key, identical as it was but was unsuccessful.

The key which I deleted was this path in the registry.
Local machine--> system-->currentcontrolset-->services-->symtdi-->dependonservice

My Machine is a:
Compaq Presario V2000

Windows XP Home SP2

80 GB Hard Drive

1 GB Ram

AMD Turion 64

ATI RAEDON Xpress 200M

Thanks
Rick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:37 PM

Right click on your My Computer, go to properties, then select the "Hardware tab" and enter the "Device Manager". See if your wireless card is enabled/installed. If it has a red x, or a warning sign, something is wrong with it. Try to reinstall the drivers for the wireless card and see if that helps. Post your findings.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:40 PM

I have heard of a fix for this - but I use a workaround for it on my laptop.

Right click on the icon in the system tray and select Status, then select Properties. Once in the properties, click on TCP/IP and select Properties. Once the dialog is open, click on OK until the dialogs are closed. This'll help to force the program to recognize that it's connected.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 MongoJerry36

MongoJerry36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:57 PM

Hello,
Thanks for your help. I took the advice from GavinSeabrook and it worked. I was able to get back the wireless network, but it still wouldnt connect. I followed the steps from USUMA, and it was not successful. It is still stuck at "Renewing your IP address" and it still says "Invalid IP Address".
Thanks
Rick

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:49 PM

My next suggestion would be to delete the network connection and then set up a new connection.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 MongoJerry36

MongoJerry36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:12 PM

Hello USASMA,
I deleted the network and setup a new one, as you suggested. Then I made some changes in the router. The laptop picked up the signal and now works and connects to the internet just fine. thank you so much for your help.
Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users