Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stefke

Stefke

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:22 AM

Well i can say that my comp is relativley safe,but ive just cleaned up alot of adware and 2 trojans(though i downloaded them BECAUSE I AM STUPID AND NON CAREFUL),so i would like to an expert is Avast a good antivirus or do you suggest another?Can you also recommmend me also an extra antivirus program(Except Zone alarm,i have that and its working briliantly)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:48 AM

There are many good, free AV applications for the computer user (see the link):
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I have used Avast and AVG, but the former at least on my computer with its configuration, was slower than AVG and used more resources. Other Members have had good experiences with Avast.

However, it is best to have only one resident AV on your hard drive, especially if both attempt to provide real-time protection. Running two concurrently can not only slow down your computer, but produce serious conflicts. Just as importantly, it can be confusing when one AV discovers the virus definitions of the other and wants to quarantine them.
There is always the option of using one of the many good on-line AV scans to double-check the protection your own AV is providing.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:04 AM

i use avast, and it works fine for me. i agree with jgweed that avast does seem to use a lot of resources sometimes, especially when its automatically updating itself. on a superficial note, i'm not particularly fond of avast's layout nor the way its way of alerting me of malware (usually by giving me a large pop-up notice and a voice message) but its effective enough. i think its realtime scanner is really good :thumbsup:

#4 Guest_madaro_*

Guest_madaro_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:11 PM

Never liked Avast! I preferred AVG, low impact on system, clean interface, easily navigated and great all round protection. Good bang! for the buck. The new AVG Anti-Malware product also deals with adware/spyware/malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users