Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Virus/security Scans

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:18 AM

Howdy,

I have a few questions about scanning my computer with various scan engines.

I have Windows XP Home, SP2, IE-7.

For security I have the following; Norton Security 2006, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware SE, SpyBot S&D, SpyWare Guard, SUPERAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster and AVG-Antispyware.

I update and run these everyday. I run them in safe mode once a week.

From a previous thread I was on I learned that I should run some of these on each users account. From what I understand Ad-Aware can be set up to scan all accounts at once.

Here are some assumptions I have made. Please correct me for I am sure I am not correct.

I assume that when Norton and Windows Defender does a scan everyone's account is getting scanned.

I assume that everyone's account is getting protected by all the security programs no matter who is on the computer.

So here is my questions. Do I need to to scan each individual account with all of the above ? (the ones that do scan)

When I do a scan would it not pick up spyware on the computer if it was there ? If so what good does it do to do individual scans ? Looking for cookies ?

I am sure I am not using the correct terminology here so if you need me to be more clear please ask and I will try again.

Thank You for your time,

Dennis :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:43 AM

i am a scanning nut, and i have never even considered the thought of scanning each users account. i hope an expert comes along with info to correct me if needed, but i think when you scan, the scan is applied to all users accounts on the entire computer. if you're scanning as owner, you will still find a virus in administrator, if it exists. one thing that is well accepted is that scanning in safe mode on the highest and deepest settings will give you the best results.

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:31 AM

i am a scanning nut, and i have never even considered the thought of scanning each users account. i hope an expert comes along with info to correct me if needed, but i think when you scan, the scan is applied to all users accounts on the entire computer. if you're scanning as owner, you will still find a virus in administrator, if it exists. one thing that is well accepted is that scanning in safe mode on the highest and deepest settings will give you the best results.

ejames82,

I thought the same thing. That is that all accounts were covered, until I saw this thread. I posted on it and Orange Blossom said they were not all covered. I thought I would start this thread to get more clarification and so as not to hijack the other thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/81478/multiple-users-on-xp/

I ran AVG on my account this morning and picked up some cookies, and then ran it on my wife's (owners) and picked up many more.

The biggest worry I have is that if the scans come back clean on my account as far as adware, viruses, trojans etc; is the possibility that I may still be infected and not know it unless I run scans on both accounts. The cookies do not bother me, it is the "monsters" that do.

As you say, hopefully someone will be able to clear this up.

Thanks for replying.

Edited by Dennis H, 20 February 2007 - 03:56 AM.

#4 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:06 AM

i think just for safety's sake i will scan tonight with the administrator account. every night when i go to bed i set up a scan in safe mode on high with deep scan with the automatic shut-off setting. i used to surf with the administrator account, before i learned that it was unwise. for all i know, that account could be infected. for about the last 4 months i have been surfing with the owner account. it couldn't hurt to scan with a bunch of programmes in safe mode with the administrator account. maybe nothing will be detected. i will check out your info. thanks, Ed James

i did check out the link, and it does make some sense to me. it actually makes me feel pretty good about the fact that nobody else uses my computer, and there are only 2 accounts on it. thanks again, Ed James

Edited by ejames82, 21 February 2007 - 01:15 AM.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:17 PM

Howdy.Posted Image

Anyone else happen to have any facts, opinions or guesses ??

I guess the bottom line question would be this. Should every security program scan be run separately on each user account ??

Thanks,

#6 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:19 PM

all the programs i have work in safe mode, using the owner account. with the administrator account, superantispyware wouldn't work. why would a program work on one account, and not the other?

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:28 PM

all the programs i have work in safe mode, using the owner account. with the administrator account, superantispyware wouldn't work. why would a program work on one account, and not the other?

Sorry I can not answer your question but I have a couple for you if you don't mind.

Other than SUPERAantiSpyware, did you run scans using other programs on both your accounts ?

If so did you come up with different scan results for each user account ??

Thanks,

Edited by Dennis H, 25 February 2007 - 11:30 PM.

#8 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

i lucked out, there was nothing detected. i scan in safe mode with kaspersky, asquared, spy sweeper, avg anti-spyware, adaware, and spybot s&d. i am able to use superantispyware with owner, but not administrator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users