Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access Hijackthis Program After Unzipping Please Help

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lordseurek

lordseurek

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:24 AM

Ok. So I am on step whatever of your guide to rid myself of Adware maxsearch. Everything up to the part where I need to run the HijackThis program is done. I still get the same error as before when Nortons picks up the Adware Maxsearch. I clicked the link you gave for the HijackThis file, unzipped it, but the program is not on my computer to run??????? After I click the HijackThis exe file saved to desktop, I get a message pop up for a few seconds and then go away without the program starting. I saved it in Paint, but dont know how to post it here. Any thoughts, please help. Getting tired of this.....

Rob K.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:34 PM

Go here, scroll down to step #9 and follow the instructions for downloading HijackThis and creating a log. ([i]This is a self-extracting version which will automatically install HJT in the proper location.

If you have a problem getting HijackThis to run, try renaming it to something else. If needed you can also change the .EXE to .BAT, .COM, .PIF, or .SCR. All all are valid for renaming it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 lordseurek

lordseurek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:17 AM

Ok. SO I clicked on the HijackThis exe file, and the program starts, but within about 2 seconds the desktop goes blank, and then returns to normal, without the HiJackThis program running. I tried to click scan before it crapped out. I did that, but then after the dektop returned to normal, the program was closed again. Any thoughts..... Rob.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:28 AM

Open the HijackThis Folder, find the HijackThis.exe file, right click on the file and select rename. Type Analyze.exe and hit "Enter". Double-click on Analyze.exe (which is still hijackthis) to run the program. If needed, change the .exe to something else such as .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr. Example: Analyze.bat or Analyze.com

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:42 AM

There are a few CWS trojans, as well as newer viruses, that attempt to close HijackThis, Spybot S&D, Ad-aware, CWShredder and other antispyware programs when you try to open them. Download PepiMK's CoolWWWSearch.Smartsearch killer and run that first. Then download and scan with CWShredder followed by a scan with AboutBuster in "Safe Mode".

If that does not work, we may have to use a Trojan remover.

#6 lordseurek

lordseurek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:44 AM

Cool, thanks guys, I give this a try and get back to you. Rob

#7 lordseurek

lordseurek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:18 PM

I downloaded all those programs you suggested, and when I go to the HiJackThis program, as soon as I click the folder under Program Files before I can get to the .exe file, the desktop resets. I guess there is something on this blocking any attempt to get to the HijackThis file. What can I do? :thumbsup:

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:34 PM

Maxsearch is known to be installed by a worm. One of the best programs to deal with it is Super Antispyware. Install it. Run it in safe mode and allow it to remove whatever it finds.
Run an online scan with Bit Defender and allow it to quarantine whatever it finds. Then try the Hijack This program again.
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

If you still have a problem after doing as buddy215 has suggested, then download DrWeb-CureIt & save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in "SAFE MODE" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with DrWeb-CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on drweb-cureit.exe to start the program. An "Express Scan of your PC" notice will appear.
  • Under "Start the Express Scan Now", Click "OK" to start. This is a short scan that will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the Yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it.
  • Once the short scan has finished, Click Options > Change settings
  • Choose the "Scan tab" and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis"
  • Back at the main window, click "Select drives" (a red dot will show which drives have been chosen)
  • Then click the "Start/Stop Scanning" button (green arrow on the right) and the scan will start.
  • When done, a message will be displayed at the bottom advising if any viruses were found.
  • Click "Yes to all" if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
  • When the scan has finished, look if you can see the icon next to the files found. If so, click it, then click the next icon right below and select "Move incurable".
    (This will move it to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if it can't be cured)
  • Next, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.

#10 lordseurek

lordseurek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:12 PM

ok, so I did what buddy suggested. The Super Anti-Spy program after it finished picked up some 30 errors and are dealt with. As for the bitdefender. I couldnt get it to run. I made the changes suggested to the security settings in terms of what to enable, but it still wouldnt scan, giving an error with the Active X. I guess I'll go onto the suggestions from quiteman. Thanks guys for your help. Cheers.

#11 lordseurek

lordseurek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:55 AM

Ran Dr CureIt and it picked up a couple of files that were deleted. However, I still cannot access the HiJackThis program. I tried renaming the folder, renaming the actual .exe file, and I can basically have enough time to scan the computer, but when the log pops up, in about a second, it closes. Ive tried printing it before it goes away, or saving it, but i guess these old fingers are too slow. So, yeah, probably a trojan of some kind. ANy more idea short of using the HP recovery .......

#12 lordseurek

lordseurek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:06 AM

Well, i guess i could get these bones working. I did manage to send the notepad file to the printer before it shut itself down. 5 pages of text. Will take awhile to type but I will if neccessary, unless there are only certain parts the HijackThis people need to look at..... If one of you can let me know, be great, in the mean time, I'll start typing it out..... :thumbsup:

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:42 AM

Did you search your drive & HJT folder to see if the log was saved without you knowing?

Look here for an example of the proper format for a log (scroll down to Fig. 14)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-post-a-hijackthis-log/

As you can see, including the top header portion is important, followed by the running process and actual entries.

Post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix.

#14 lordseurek

lordseurek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:53 PM

Finally. There was a saved file in the HJT folder. I managed to rename it before it shut itself down again. I will post the log in the appropriate place. Thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:56 PM

Your welcome and good luck.