Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, I can't figure this out!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rmatlock

rmatlock

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:35 PM

I have two printers that I have on my network. I want to designate one printer to one group of computers, and another printer to the other group of computers. When I am logged in as an administrator, I can delete the printer that I don't want users to use. But, once I log off of the computer, the default printers that are set up for that specific set of computers automatically pops back up. I have a specific user profile set up for users to the public called: ruser. But, when people go to print, the default printer is set for the opposite printer I want them to use, so paper is constantly getting wasted because users don't think that the printer is working correctly. I try to go into printer scripts and change the script, but I am still having trouble fixing this issue. Is there anyone out there who can help with this problem?
Thanks,
rmatlock.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 05:07 PM

are you using windows xp on all of the machines?

you need to make sure that none of the machines
are sharing the printers to the network...

you should be able to go to ...
start --> settings --> printers -->
and right click on the printer(s) you are wanting
to modify and make sure on the sharing tab
that the printer is "not shared"

XP automatically trolls any network subnet
that it is connected to for non-passworded
shared printers and automatically sets
them up... and sometimes when setting
up a printer initally it does share the
printer to the network without a password.

hopefullly this helps,

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users