Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP and Microsft Word

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldsoldier

oldsoldier

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:41 PM

Hello, I have two questions. [1] I transcribe old historical documents for a University archive. After I transcribe them into Microsoft Word documents, the originals are archived. The project began about eight years ago when my computer had Windows 3.1. Then I upgraded to Windows 98 and lately toWindows XP Professional. With 98, I had Microsoft Office 2000. With XP, I have Microsoft Office 2000 Professional. I cannot remember the Microsoft Word system I had with Windows 3.1. To date, 8000+ Word docs are on my local 'C' disc in my computer. However, something happens with XP which did not happen with 98, and it is a time wasting irritation. I must open documents to cross-reference information. When I open one which was created when I had 3.1, or 98, and alter it and save the alteration, an orange coloured box flashes on my task bar. I click the flashing box and sometimes nothing happens. I click to close the document and a window appears with this script ' whatsit.doc is a Word 6.0 or 95 for Windows document. Do you want to update it to the latest Word format? To overwrite click Yes. To save in current format click No'. I reckon that I have already updated forty or fifty, the rest are waiting their turn to flash the orange box. But I will not have to open all of them for the cross-reference of information, so I will always have a mixture of updated and non-updated documents. Is there a way that I can update all of my Word documents, en masse, with one or two clicks ?

[2] When I had Windows 98 and used Word 2000, and I accessed my local 'C' disc, my folders were in lines across the screen and my files in the folders were also in lines across the screen, showing the name of the file, size, when it was created, and when it was last accessed. Now, with XP and Word 2000 Professional, folders and documents are icons. I want to have them in lines across the screen. I have clicked on 'View' in Word and then 'List' and 'Details' and succeeded in changing icons to lines across the screen, but when I return later, the folders and files are icons again. That has happened again and again. How can I kill the icons and make my folders and files stay as lines across the screen ?

I shall be very grateful if someone can tell me how to rid my compouter of these irritations. Or will I have to live with them ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 05:28 PM

Hello oldsoldier and :thumbsup: to BC.

The second question I can answer for you but not the first.

Go to your control panel, in the top of your screen, left hand side, you will see File, Edit, View, Go etc.

Click on view and then "Details".

This will change your icons to a detailed view.

Now we have to set this view as the default setting so it will stay like this when you open a window up again.

In control panel again, look this time for "tools" this is the second last one, next to "help".
ok, follow this.......Tools / folder options / then click on the "View" tab and in folder views, click on the "apply to all folders" button. Then click on "Apply" at the bottom of this box and then OK.

Thats it, now, whenever you open a window you will have your details view back again.

Cheers
JTH

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:19 PM

There are applications that will change file extensions automatically; however, the Word process may be necessary to ensure proper formatting of the contents which could be lost if you merely change the extension. Until you can confirm this, I would not use any automatic changing.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:56 PM

Word docs:
MS Word, and Excel as well, always, or as far back as I recall (office 95 ??) suggest that if you need to save, to do so in the new version. It maybe irriating at times, and I can see why in your case. In a way it's a good idea to convert if you plan to use those docs. Eventually they might become incompatible.

If you're handy with VBA, you can write a tiny macro to update all your docs (you do have good backups and archives and could restore everything if you mess up, right? :trumpet: ). The easiest way is to record a macro for one file, learn the syntax and write a loop to do if for all files. See if at the university someone can help you if you'd rather not do it yourself.

Word and Excel have VBA behind the scenes. It's their best kept secret. That stuff is invaluable to precisely the job you're thinking of. But it does need to be done carefully up front, even if it's just a tiny bit of code.

jgweed, I did not read his question the way you did. I don't think Old Soldier wants to change file extensions.

Folder display:
I have set and set again the details view and to have folders on the left and files on the right and to remember it for all the folders, and I exit the explorer and start it again and it's a loosing battle.

Some folders stay well behaved, the way the Old Soldier wants it, and me too. Many revert back to icons, and all sort of goofy looking displays. Something weird is going on with XP in this respect that I have never seen before. :flowers: Help me too :thumbsup:

#5 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:27 PM

If Old Soldier (welcome fellow Brit!) opens Windows Explorer by right clicking on the START button in the bottom left corner of the screen,
Click on the C: drive icon
Select VIEW from the top line menus
Click on DETAILS
all the icons should change to the details required, including any subdirectories within the main directories.

Close and reopen Windows Explorer and see if the details are all shown.

I find it more irritating in Word that the open files dialogue box cannot be resized to allow all details to be shown there; I tend to keep Windows Explorer running in the background so that I can identify files more easily.

Regarding the first question, yes it is very annoying having to resave old files in new formats and I too would be very pleased if someone could locate a script which would change all the files types automatically.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users