Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Bad To Use A Game Console On The Computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kevin92

kevin92

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:34 PM

I have A/V inputs on my computer and I heard it was a bad idea to hook up a playstation 2 to the computer, because it could damage either system. Is that true, and also, im having trouble accessing the signal from the inputs, anyone have any diea's on how to get to it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:34 PM

Well, the problem you will have, is i believe that the composite connectors on your video card is an OUT video. Basically what im understanding you want to do, is hook your PS2 to your computer, so you can view it on the screen. If that is the case, no this will not work. Unless your video card has an IN port for composite cables (red, yello white) then yes you could, its just a matter of getting it to display, which would be dependant on your vid card.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

If you want to use the monitor for gaming, just get a composite to vga converter.

Posted Image

#4 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:01 PM

"composite to vga converter: what is that, and where do i get it?

Also, I have the composite input on the front of my computer, so i know i have the input, but it's composite video 2, and im not sure how to access that signal

Edited by kevin92, 18 February 2007 - 11:03 PM.

#5 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:45 AM

Hmm you have an input on the front of your computer? Maybe, I've just never heard of having video inputs on a computer without a video capture card. It is one yellow rca (vcr) type plug right?

Is this a manufacter pc? If so, can you give who made it and some details about it? If not, go to start > my computer > (right click) > properties > hardware (it's a tab) > device manager. Look under sound video and game controllers, and also under display adapters. Maybe you have a certain capture card, and we can help you from there.

Posted Image

#6 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:38 PM

Yes, it has the yellow, white, red inputs on the front. It's an HP media center computer, the model number is m7680n. When I go to the device manager, it tells me I have a "Legacy Video Capture Devices" would that be what you're thinking of?

#7 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:57 PM

Well I guess you do have inputs then, I would bet that you can access them from hp included software. Also check in the control panel, there's gotta be something there.

Posted Image

#8 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

Those media center pc's have those inputs for use of capture from video cameras and stuff. As T said, it should work with the included software. The only problems you would run into is the input to input. And even then, I can't really see how it would cause too much if any damage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users