Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want To Upgrde My Old Dell Pentium 2 To Take Win. Xp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 corvette10

corvette10

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:11 PM

well i have an old dell pentuim 2 computer and it has windows 98. i want to upgrade to windows xp. can someone give me advice on what kind of hardaware i will need inorder to do that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:42 PM

System requirements for Windows XP operating systems
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:00 PM

Frankly, you're going to have a hard time upgrading that to winxp. It would be MUCH easier to just get a new computer, because to upgrade this would pretty much be to replace every part but the case the fans, and MAYBE the hard drive.

If you get a new rig, run linux on this one!

Edited by T, 17 February 2007 - 11:00 PM.

Posted Image

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:24 AM

Frankly, you're going to have a hard time upgrading that to winxp. It would be MUCH easier to just get a new computer, because to upgrade this would pretty much be to replace every part but the case the fans, and MAYBE the hard drive

'T'...are you by chance selling computers and want to make a sale here??? :thumbsup:

Windows XP will run on that computer, it may be slow but it will run. The one thing that you would want to change would be the amount of RAM, if you can increase your RAM to 512MB it will make a big difference in its performance as XP is a resource hog. :huh:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:20 PM

Ya definetly get at least 512mb of ram. My friend is trying to run windows xp with a better processor then yours (AMD Sempron, 1.5Ghz) with 128mb of ram, and it goes so slow. It also freezes up every 5 minutes (no joke), and thats with only having one internet explorer opened, using DSL.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:33 PM

i put XpPro on a PII about 3 years ago. i bumped the RAM from 128 (factory in '98) to 384 and i thought it ran quite well. in fact it is still doing yeoman service with a sportsman's club for administrative work...

the original video card couldnt be updated (driver wise) and sometimes on start up it would display about 200 X 300 dpi resolution (is that the correct measurement?). this baby made everything BIG. after about 2-5 minutes it would correct itself but it was only an issue with some games my 5 yr old would play...

i added a 20g hard drive as a slave to the factory 8.4...

you can do it, have fun...

david

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

If you want to get that old computer moving you could pick up an old PowerLeap adapter off of eBay. If you are running a P-II 66Mhz bus it will bump you to 933mhz, or PC-II 100Mhz up to 1.4Ghz. You will still need that 512Mb of RAM.
I have several old Dell GX1 at the house for the Kids. I perfer Windows 2000 Pro. Much lighter on resources.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:57 PM

-Consider me corrected-

I agree, if you aren't going to be gaming, I actually prefer win2000. Just make sure to get ALL the patches, as it is EXTREMELY venerable. Anyone with metasploit could take over an unpatched win2k.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users