Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do System Tweaking Programs Really Work?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

As you can tell buy the # of posts I've left the last few days I have computer issues. My brother claims I have many of these problems b/c I've installed all these optimizer programs Like System Mechanic 6 & others. He see those programs and groans " there's your problem those stupid programs will wreck your system". He claims that they act like they are doing a great job finding error, cleaning reg, finding spyware, testing security but its all fake. It just wants you to think its doing a great job. Whats the thinking on this matter? Should get rid of them or do they actually work? If they do work what are the best/safest programs to use?
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

I tend to agree with your brother. I shun registry cleaning applications like the plague, since they do not really improve computer performance, and by their very nature can do major harm to both the operating system as well as the applications that run on top of it.
It is far safer for the average user, and certainly more productive, to perform routine maintenance on your computer:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users