Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows - No Disk

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 michele2007

michele2007

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:29 PM

I did a search for the above subject but kept getting a word was too small and got no results. Please direct me to this topic if you know where it is. My problem doesn't happen on startup and I can't figure out what triggers it, but I keep getting a Windows - No Disk screen and it doesn't want a disk in the A drive or the CD drive and I don't know what it wants. I think the problem lies in Windows Update. After a few years of having it turned off, I selected what I thought I should get. I think this problem didn't start then. I think it started after I caught it Windows Updating last week when I had it turned off. I went back and turned it off again after it was done installing. I don't even know what it was it installed.

I have Windows XP Home and recently removed CA Internet Security Suite and installed System Mechanic 7. Besides making my computer run slower, I still didn't have this problem. I have my hard drive partitioned so it's C and D. The screen may be popping up when System Mechanic is virus checking or something in the background. I've done a complete virus scan on my computer every day and have defragmented the disk numerous times. I've read on the internet that it might be caused by Microsoft Update KB913433. Flash something. I would like to try and delete this but do not know how. Please answer in simple, detailed terms as I consider myself a beginner. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:44 PM

For one System Mechanic 7 is not an anti-virus program. It cannot be used to replace one. It can also cause problems on some PCs.

As for an update causing that error the only one I can think of is an Office update and it needs the Office CD to compete the update.

This error also comes up on some HP computers.

What is the make amd model of your computer? What other anti-malware programs do you have? Do you have Office installed and if so what version? How long did you go with updates turned off?

Your computer may be infected. To check follow the directions in the links below.

Read this: Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Instructions for receiving help in cleaning your computer

Then post a Hijack This log at this section of the forums: HijackThis Logs and Analysis

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 17 February 2007 - 08:44 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users