Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DEAD NETWORK

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aceshot

Aceshot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:06 PM

After building my fathers computer and putting it on the network I noticed that it could not see my computer so I reconfigured the connection and was able to see my computer. When I turned off my computer the network died. I am connecting through a Linksys router. My computer was assigned a private ip range. I reconfigured it to autodetect the router which in turn changed my ip address to 192.168.1.1 My father's computer is working great, but now I have no network access and can not get to the Internet. I know the NIC is working as I can ping the loopback and also ping the router: however I can't get past the router.
This makes no sense to me because one moment I was connected the next nothing.
Please any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:55 PM

I reconfigured the connection

I'm not exactly sure what you did,but I can tell you this:
Linksys Router default IP is 192.168.1.1 I do not know how your computer grabbed this IP (you may not be using DHCP now (?) ) Try these steps
1. Unplug power from the router
2. Press the reset button on the router - plug power back in
3. Computer A - Network Settings - Obtain IP automatically - Reboot
4. Computer B - Network Settings - Obtain IP automatically - Reboot
That should put you back to normal.
HTH

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 homecomputeraid

homecomputeraid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:43 AM

In addition to what Raw said, you should make sure both PC's are powered down, so you'll be sure that the 192.168.1.1 address is only being used for the Router. The Router's IP won't change from 192.168.1.1, but the IP Address conflict when the Router comes up, if your PC still has 192.168.1.1, could cause some strange occurrences on your network.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Ted LeRoy
MCSE(NT/2000), CCNA, A+

#4 Aceshot

Aceshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:01 PM

This problem was solved by my IT friends from school using RAW's suggestion thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users