Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Kernel

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:03 PM

Does anyone know if Vista uses the NT kernel or if they wrote an entirely new one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:48 PM

It uses the NT kernel. NT 6.0 it has been referred to.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:23 AM

Phut! You'd think they'd have had plenty of time to write a new kernal...

Thanks for the info!

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:49 AM

Writing a new kernel is hardly something you want to do. They did rewrite the networking stack, with the result that bug which were fixed back in Windows 95 popped up again.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:54 AM

The kernel has had some changes made to it. The most annoying change is that the durned thing will insist on scanning and fixing your flash drive if you've used it in an XP system.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/vista/kernel-en.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetma...el/default.aspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:52 PM

Microsoft is probably writing a new kernel for an OS. It just won't be out for a long time.

3939.png

#7 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:09 AM

By definition. The current OS is a Upgraded Kernel, which one could argue is new. Microsoft is currently working on a number of small projects Built around the micro-kernel, "Singularity". Search for that on Google and or Altavista.

#8 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:36 AM

If you are REALLY curious, heres the whole (authorative) works from the Technet magazine:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetma...el/default.aspx

Edited by uhaligani, 23 February 2007 - 01:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users