Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Direct Ip

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Tecman

Tecman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:02 PM

Hi, I cannot even ping another computer address, firewall on or off. I have TW07 exceptions in Windows Firewall. I have the correct ports open. All my group connects fine, but I cant even ping any of them. My ISP says every thing is fine and has to be in my programs. I have no problems connecting anywhere on the internet but cannot ping or connnect to another computer.--Thanks

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 17 February 2007 - 06:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:06 AM

Hey Tecman and welcome to BleepingComputer.
What ports are you using? Some ISPs block certain ports in an attempt to block home users from running servers from a residential account. This is an attempt to have the consumer upgrade to a SOHO account.
The commonly blocked ports are Port 80 (Web), Port 21 (FTP), and Port 25 (SMTP).
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Tecman

Tecman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:58 PM

Hi and thanks, Port 80 and all TW07 ports are open according to Port Mapper. Dell thinks its IE7 but one of our players has IE7 and has no problem. I can ping in command prompt.

#4 Tecman

Tecman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:31 AM

I can ping web address's (www) but not IP address's? Why would that be?????

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:07 AM

Could you explain a little more about the system you are trying to connect to. If this is a private WWW, they may be using Dynamic DNS software to update the IP address they are using. This is usually because the person serving the WWW has a dynamic IP address. This means from time to time the IP address changes. If this is the case the dynamic DNS software will report the changes so the WWW can be found. This would explain why you can ping the WWW but not the IP address.
I cannot say for sure this is the case but it is possible. that is why I need to know more about how you are setup on the remote computer.

#6 Tecman

Tecman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:44 PM

No, the other 5 people have no problem joining up in direct IP and we know about assigned address's. I suspect my cable co. is the cause but they say no. I can ping any site with a name but not an address and the correct ports for TW 07 are open, and firewallexceptions are there. Unless there is some setting blocking address's and not websites. I can ping my cable provider by name but not by there IP address. Thanks

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:58 PM

Try the following command.

Start> Run> cmd> ipconfig /flushdns

You should receive a "Successful" when it is completed. Try to ping the site at that point.

#8 Tecman

Tecman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:22 PM

Hi I tried your suggestion, got message as follows-could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

Contact your ISP and ask them what their DNS server IP addresses are. There should be at least two possibly 3. Manually enter the DNS in your network configuration. It will be located in the same place as your Static IP address.
If you ISP gives you a problem giving up the DNS IPs try the open DNS addresses. Go to the following link and enter any of the Tier II DNS servers. You can use 1 but if it goes down you will not have access to the internet till it is back up. I would select at least two.

Public Name Servers

#10 Tecman

Tecman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:10 AM

Im not real sure what you mean about these DNS's. I show 2 in my status report, are these what you mean?
In local connections, details, they show 2 DNS servers--24.217.0.5 and 24.217.0.55. Are these what you are talking about?

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:23 AM

Yes that sounds right. Here is an example of what I am referring to.

Posted Image

#12 Tecman

Tecman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:59 PM

Yes thats it. So you say I should use 2 from tier II in place of these? I am on Obtain address's automaticlly, so I will have to go on manual settings for both? Will this affect my cable internet? Should I leave my IP address the same or change it too? Sorry for so many questions but this is an area i have not dealt with before. Thanks

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:14 PM

This will only do what your ISP should be doing already. Your ISP should provides you with DNS IP addresses on request. The DNS addresses you see about are from my ISP, Cox Cable.
If you want to try the open DNS IP addresses it will not hurt anything.
The DNS server is like 4-1-1 for the internet. You browser goes to the a DNS sever and looks up the IP address for the web site you are trying to access. If the IP address report for the web site is wrong it is like getting a disconnect phone number.
I am recommending you use the altenate IP addresses to elimitnate the possibility of a DNS server being down or not reporting. If this does not solve your problem you can aways switch back, or leave it static.
If you are using a router access the setup page.It may have your ISP's DNS sever IP addresses listed.

#14 Tecman

Tecman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:13 PM

Ok Ill try it and let you know but according to connection status details I have 2 DNS servers. Those are the #'s i gave you before. Thanks

#15 Tecman

Tecman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:41 PM

OK I was able to ping a couple of address's and it seems to work. If my friends come on line I will try TW 07 direct ip. Thanks for your time and patience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users