Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lau

lau

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:05 AM

is it a given that when the computer is turned on and nothing happens that the power supply is gone? My sister tells me that nothing at all happens when she turns on her computer. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:25 AM

It's not a 100% thing, but pretty sure. Do you have another PSU you can put in to see if it will work? Or can you hear the fan on the supply running? Maybe open the case and test the PSU if you have a meter. :thumbsup:
There are other things to look for, I just can't think of them right now, someone else will come along with more ideas....
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:30 AM

Something like that would make you think there is a problem with the power supply. If it were other hardware, the motherboard would beep or at least fans would spin up and lights come on.

Check cables and stuff first, You would hate it if you bought a new PSU and found out the cord from the on button wasn't connected to the motherboard or you plugged it into an outlet that gets turned on by a lightswitch (true story), or something stupid like that.

#4 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:35 PM

Could also be a fried motherboard, but I hope not.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

If you know how to us a volt meter you can test the PSU minus the motherboard in the following manner. Either turn off the PSU by the switch on the rear of it or unplug it from the wall receptacle. Disconnect the 20/24 pin connector from the power supply, place a jumper wire from the green wire to any black wire, turn the power back on and read the different voltages from the +voltage to a black negative wire.

Color code
Orange +3.3VDC
Red +5VDC
Yellow +12VDC
Blue -12VDC
White -5VDC
Black Negative
Green Power switch on

If the voltages don't read as they should replace the PSU, if the do then you may have a problem with the motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users