Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 malonja

malonja

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:52 AM

I'm having audio issues. My audio is garbeled/pixeled/slow/distorted whether it's the opening windows chime or playing audio with a media player (iTunes, WMP, etc...). What is interesting is that when I go to the Driect X Diagnostics tools section and run tests on the audio...it sounds fine.

The issue seems to happen more when other processes are running/opening. For example, when booting up OR if I'm playing audio it sounds bad but if I open another program it sounds really really bad while the program is opening up.

For the last two weeks I've been on the "Hijack This Logs and Analysis" forum and have ruled out malware/spyware/virus as the problem. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/80159/hijack-this-log-please-please-help/

Here is information regarding my system:
Dell
System Type: Dimension 3000
Ship Date: 11/9/2004
Dell IBU: Americas
Quantity Parts # Part Description
1 M5268 PROCESSOR, 80546, 3.0, 1M, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 800, D0
1 7N242 KEYBOARD, 104, UNITED STATES, SILITEK, LOW COST, MIDNIGHT GRAY
1 T0943 KIT, MOUSE, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, 2BTN, OPTICAL, LOGITECH
2 J0201 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 400M, 32X64, 8K, 184
1 J5225 ASSEMBLY, REMOVABLE MEDIA STORAGE, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, 128M, M-SYSTEMS
1 D3431 KIT, SPEAKER, 120V, NMB, A215, SHIP IN BOX
1 X2749 MODEM, V.92, DATA FAX, INTERNAL, DONNY, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
1 D5421 DISPLAY, FLAT PANEL DISPLAY, 15, DUAL VOLTAGE, E153FPB, MIDNIGHT GRAY, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
1 U4700 HARD DRIVE, 80GB, I, 7.2K, 2MEGB, WD-XL80SD
1 T1613 KIT, SOFTWARE, OFCBSC-2K3, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR., ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 H8412 KIT, SOFTWARE, OVERPACK, WXPHSP2, COMPACT DISKETTE W/DOCUMENTATION, ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 D7195 ASSEMBLY, COMPACT DISK READ WRITE, 48X, HALF HEIGHT, HITACHI LG DATA STORAGE, CHASSIS 2005
512 of RAM

I also downloaded/installed the audio driver update from dell:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=116781

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:54 PM

I have gone through your HJT log, why not try the following :

Uninstall all messenger programs as well as your programs relating to the IPOD you have. After that :

Download install and update Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

Reboot and try the sound again whether it better now. If so install , one at a time all the uninstalled programs again and test the sound.

I furthermore saw, but that is beside the point that your version of Java is outdated and needs to be updated to take advantage of fixes that have eliminated security vulnerabilities.
Updating Java:

* Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.0
* Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6
* Click the "Download" button to the right.
* Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
* The page will refresh.
* Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language and save to your desktop.
* Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
* Clear Java Cache
To Clear the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) cache, do this:

* Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
* Double-click the Java icon.
-The Java Control Panel appears.
* Click "Settings" under Temporary Internet Files.
-The Temporary Files Settings dialog box appears.
* Click "Delete Files".
-The Delete Temporary Files dialog box appears.
-There are three options on this window to clear the cache.
o Delete Files
o View Applications
o View Applets
* Click "OK" on Delete Temporary Files window.
-Note: This deletes all the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the cache.
* Click "OK" on Temporary Files Settings window.
* Close the Java Control Panel.

You can also view these instructions along with screenshots here.

It is possible that Microsoft JVM is still present on your computer.Check this as following: Start -- Run and type cmd. In the blac window type jview and ENTER. If Microsft JVM is present you will get version notification. If not present you wil get an error.

Please do the following if Microsoft JVM is present:
Download this tool to remove Microsoft JVM from your PC: MSJVM Removal Tool
Save the file on your desktop doubleklick and allow it to store it into his own folder. Dobleklick unmsjvm.exe en follow these instructions.
Please also download this regfile: RemoveJVM.reg.
Store the regfile onto your desktop doubleklick and allow the changes in your registry.

* Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
* Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
- Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
o Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
* Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
* Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
* Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
* Then from your desktop double-click on jre-1_6_0_10-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

#3 malonja

malonja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

I did everything you recommended. Uninstalled all messenger programs and Ipod/Itunes. Opened in safe mode and ran cleaner. Still same audio problems and I have not reinstalled anything previously uninstalled.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

Hello,

Try uninstalling your sound drivers completely, then use ccleaner and its registry cleaning function 2-3 times. then reboot and reinstall the audio drivers.

How many processes do you have running?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 malonja

malonja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:05 PM

This is a novice question...but how do i uninstall/reinstall audio driver? thanks

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:17 PM

There are two main ways of doing this, the first is to go to the control panel and click the add/remove programs, scroll down the list until you find the correct entry then click the remove button.

the second way of doing this is to right click on the mycomputer icon and select properties. click the hardware tab then click the device manager button, scroll down the list until you see sound vidio and game controllers. expand that entry and double click on the correct entry and select the driver tab, then you can roll back or uninstall the driver.

once this is complete reboot and then use ccleaner after its complete reinstall the driver.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users