Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Curious

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Aussie Ness

Aussie Ness

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:00 AM

I am curious to know how the 'very computer savvy' members here learnt all they know about computers? Have you specifically studied or worked with computers? Are you addicted in your spare time?

My first real serious use of computers was almost 20 years ago when I was working for a supermarket and scanning was first introduced. Of course the only programme loaded into the system was for the supermarket, and of course there was no mouse. I could fly around that menu quite well.

I think it was around the new millennium when I bought a home computer and was dying to see what the world wide web was. Since then I jumped on my computer practically everyday for lots of reasons and has kept me somewhat sane considering I live in Crapsville!

I would love to be able to know my way around my computer like some of you guys/girls do.

I also don't know how to classify my level of experience....What comes after 'newbie'??? Are there other labels for the rungs on the ladder to 'expert'?
Ness

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:08 AM

I'm don't think I qualify as "very computer savvy", but most of what I know came from reading A+ certification books, which are outdated now, and on my own by constantly dinking and putting things on and off the computer. Since I can reformat and usually have a good backup it does'nt scare me to experiment.

I had a buddy I worked with in the 90's who was very smart on computers and had a huge influence on my learning. He died in '02 and I wish he were still around when I need questions answered. But he's not so I found this place! :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:40 AM

I started out as a real noob crashing within 3 month 2 brand new computers Posted ImagePosted Image
At that time ('93) I was not aware of the vast possibilities of the internet, since I used them for games only
Since I "found "Google my knowledge increases by the day, if you know which sites to use. I very much enjoy helping other people out overhere..

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

For my part, I began to learn about computers in the VIC/Commodore era by using them, reading all the good documentation they provided, and learning Basic programming. At work, sometime later, I learned about Windows and office applications, both by reading manuals and by hands-on experience; I also began to be interested, from a user viewpoint, about the many mainframe applications we used at work, and gradually slipped into the IT department where I learned, among other things, COBOL. Working on a daily basis with various systems, interfaces with other applications, and with end-users brought a lot of general and very specific knowledge, as well as an understanding of how to communicate somewhat esoteric or sophisticated concepts to the general end-user in a way that enabled them to actually accomplish the tasks before them. As an IT staff member and project manager, I was also forced to become knowledgeable in the area of computer security, disaster recovery plans, and PC developments; as a PC user, it was only natural that the perspectives and knowledge I gathered was transfered to my own PC computing. With all the detailed information available on the web, and knowing how to research problems or questions, I was---and am even now---able to increase my knowledge.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:12 AM

Around 1983/4, I was fascinated with the conception of pressing keys with code to make things happen. Ian Siclair came up with the , I believe, ZX80. I started out on thise. Then moved on to the 128 and so to the Apple 2b. At that time I was using a program called digital research, which, together with a Xeros GUI, was bought out by an imaginative young fanatic called Bill Gates. he reinvented punching codes into a simpler way of applying pre-programmed keys, through a pretty desktop. (called Windows) At that time I was picked, at random, to purchase and set up 5 PC computers for the small organisation where I worked. I was forced to invent spreadsheets and on line tuition papers for the users. I became totally engrossed in the whole computer scene and, from then on, spent most of my "hobby" time, other than playing golf! , messing around with computers. I got into larger things, including Beta testing, at a very early stage, and picked up a few tips.
Still struggling to become "computer savvy" I'm afraid, but am competent to help "newbies" so that, I guess, might put me into the next highest category, whatever that may be called??.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:58 AM

It seems to come natural to me to know how to work about everything to do with technology. I learned first by playing with windows 3.11 and then 95 and so on. I also read the windows 98 dummies guide. I kept playing with them and know more than most people do but not everything ha ha.

Reading on sites like this has increased my knowledge a lot more.

#7 Aussie Ness

Aussie Ness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:22 AM

Thanks for the responses!

Wildabeast, I'm sorry you lost your buddy. I understand more than you can imagine. I guess you would have bounced off each other well.

fozzie, I look forward to the day I can help someone out. What a great attitude.

jgweed, forgive my ignorance but what is COBOL? I imagine you would really enjoy the path life has taken you on. I'm jealous.

uhaligani, we really need to put our heads together to come up with the levels after newbie. I suspect you would be much higher than a newbie! I would be way lower down the ladder than you but I would have a term to aspire to!

cowsgonemadd3, I always wondered what came before '95 (if in fact there was anything before it). Wow, you learn something new everyday here. Thanks.
Ness

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:33 AM

What's the next rung up the ladder after 'Clueless"? :thumbsup:
Careful what you write,I'm a sensitive Guy. :flowers:

#9 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:36 AM

Somewhat clued in?
:thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#10 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:19 AM

Sorta dishwater blonde?

did I say that outloud? :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#11 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:30 AM

KETSU could come after Newbie - Knows enough to screw up

#12 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:19 AM

KETSU could come after Newbie - Knows enough to screw up[quote]

WooHoo! That should make me an Advanced Ketsu! Because I've screwed up A LOT! :thumbsup:
Ronald Reagan

#13 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:50 AM

I was piqued by computers in the early '70s while in high school but lost interest (girls, hot rods & the military took over). During '95 my great-niece was standing at my desk watching me pour over blueprints I was drawing and scribbling data in one of my many notebooks. She told me I should get with it and buy one of those "puter" things. I decided to get involved with computers again and bought a Gateway 2000. It didn't take long for a piece of hardware to die, so being mechanically adept and an electronics hobbyist I tore the computer down, found out what the part was and replaced it. I must have trashed the registry on that computer hundreds of times as I tried to "improve" the behavior of Windows. I even started to experiment with overclocking. That Gateway passed away after 5 years of abuse. I started using search engines to learn the ins and outs plus joined the ZDNet/TechTV forums. From there I became a fanatic and decided to learn everything I could.

I will always be in the learning phase, plus I make a few bucks repairing computers now that supplement my income. I enjoy having a hobby that supports itself.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#14 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:09 AM

KETSU could come after Newbie - Knows enough to screw up

I must be an advanced KETSU also.If there's a wrong way to do something,I'll find it. :flowers: :thumbsup:

#15 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:55 AM

KETSU...

Appears to me this simple term fits well alongside any other term in use.
Newbie, Intermediate, Advanced, and even Expert.
Been there and done most all that. Argh!

Nice acronym uhaligani
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users