Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Card Problems In Backtrack

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:29 AM

I wanted to ask this question here (I love BC) before I tried any of the hard-core linux sites.

I have messed around with Linux before but still consider myself kinda noobish at it.
I recently found the distribution of Backtrack 2 linux which has lots of network tools, sniffers, etc. and wanted to see how secure my network is by hacking it myself :thumbsup: and Backtrack has all the tools I need.
anyway, I found that my laptop has just about the worst wireless card I could possibly have gotten for Linux. Its a Broadcom 4311 chipset (Dell 1390 wifi adapter). I found that they are all idiots and refuse to release drivers or source code to make their products compatible with Linux. The only way to get it to work is by using ndiswrapper (wonderful, genius tool). But by using that, you lose the ability to go into 'monitor mode' to use their Network cracking tools. (note: I'm not an evil hacker guy and stuff, you can do this in any Linux and even Windows, its just harder. I pay for internet and am using this for security reasons).
So I didn't want to use ndiswrapper. I later found that there was a group of Russians or someone that reverse engineered Broadcom's drivers to make it work in Linux. And it is now integrated into Kernels above v2.6 or something. http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/

I was way excited that it could actually work, but have no clue how to get the drivers to work with my live cd of backtrack 2. I got ndiswrapper to work, but this is a whole different thing.
They supposedly included the bcm43xx module into the kernel, but I can't find it. All the tutorials Ive seen require you to use that module.

You're supposed to get real drivers and use the bcm43xx-fwcutter tool to cut out the important part of the windows drivers or something. It then writes a bunch of files to my /lib/firmware directory that are supposed to be what the bcm43xx module runs off of.

Since the bcm43xx module is supposedly built into the kernel (i have the latest Kernel), It Should work. Do I need to reload something after I do that that will reload the hardware with the new drivers or something?

Remember, I'm still sorta new at Linux so I dont really know what I'm doing too much. I could be totally wrong in everything as far as I know. I just did lots of research before I posted.

I know its a long, hard post and is sort of an isolated problem, but any ideas would help.
Thanks

Just thought, maybe this should be in the networking forum.... But this also could answer some questions about backtrack its self, use of modules, drivers, etc. Oh well

Edited by nforce, 17 February 2007 - 01:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:22 AM

I know its a pretty hard question, but I will shorten it down.
When I put the modded drivers in /lib/firmware, it should recognize them and load them because the bcm43xx module is built in. What would be the command to just force linux to reload the hardware drivers?

#3 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:10 PM

Try typing this at the terminal:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

Not sure if this will work but if you think your card is compatible and have followed the right procedures then hopefully it should work. Generally, wireless configuration isn't easy without the correct drivers so if you get this working you can take another step away from being a noob :thumbsup: ...... as long as you promise to learn how these tools work and why they work..... don't just use them and not understand them....please, there are enough script kiddies out there making the security community look bad enough for releasing tools such as this.

Meanwhile I'll do some research on your drivers for you, you may be able to use another set if you current one still fail.
Cheers, Lucent
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#4 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:31 AM

Thanks for the help! I will test it as soon as I can. If you look around, there are quite a few people with problems like this with a very few of them that have it working.
I was also thinking that if I have my drivers in the right spot, could I reload all the drivers like reloading the whole hotswap thing? (If the network restart you said doesnt work).
Also on the bcm43xx website, it says my card is 'unstable' I hope i can still get it working better to an extent. At least its not 'unsupported'.

And If I get this working, maybe I'll write a how-to guide on BC about Linux networking... or at least a tutorial about this type of card. I know it would help quite a few people out there.

Edited by nforce, 21 February 2007 - 01:32 AM.

#5 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:06 AM

Howdy again :flowers:

Thanks for the help! I will test it as soon as I can. If you look around, there are quite a few people with problems like this with a very few of them that have it working.

Hmmph, tell me about it..... this is the reason i turfed my old card and and got a compatible one (that was a loong time ago though) ...... i can't remember where the chipset compatabillity list is. That is what i was trying to find, have to go for a bit now but have a look on the kismet or airsnort sites. I'm sure there was a list somewhere, and i think there was some pretty handy instructions on porting drivers. Sorry this is no further help, i just wanted to let you know that i wasn't having a go at you, that's all. Oh and a tutorial is a great idea :thumbsup:
Cheers, Lucent.
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#6 Dimensionerror

Dimensionerror

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:42 PM

I might have good news for you. I have a hp dv9005us laptop that has the bcm4311 wlan adapter built in. You mentioned that you wanted to use the backtrack livecd distro for it's wireless tools. I had the same idea so I downloaded and burned it. It booted and everything seems to work. I've tried a lot of the wifi tools and they work for me. For my laptop, the distro works out of the box. Have you tried booting it? When I loaded it, the wireless car showed up as eth1, so it may not actually be named as a wlan card. Try it out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users