Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Is Ei Launching When I Start Firefox?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:11 PM

This is strange, I've been getting this annoying action. Every time I reboot then click on Firefox (latest ver.) I get this damned EI window opening to some add site (always a different one). After I close it I can run firefox and it doesn't come back til I reboot again. Firefox is my default. I've run Avast!-Avg spyware-Ad-aware SE-Xoftspy & S&D. Nothing stops it. I even uninstalled EI 7, but its still doing it. I was thinking about wiping EI completely from my PC, but I'm just not sure how/ if I should/ or even if it will work. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:55 PM

You cannot/should not remove IE from your computer.
It is an important part of your OS.

It would be helpful if you could post a screenshot of one of these "add sites".
Use ImageShack to host your screenshot and post it in your next reply.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

Hi TMACK.
Sorry I just noticed I've been writing EI instead of IE. Ooops. Well I have some of the info you asked about.
Here's where I stand now. Still every time I launch FF from a reboot I get a IE pop-up window w/ adds. I close that window down & I get more pop-ups. I got some pix for you. I couldn't capture the whole window so I got a few pix from the window.

I can send you the actual address from the pop-up if you want to see it. I didn't add it here, in fear its a virus or something. This time when I opened It went to Bonus.com:
Bonus.com - image made from imageshack
http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=navbar01og6.gif

Inside the window were these 2 cells:
10 ringtones pic
http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=back1xu7.gif
http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=legobioniclebarraki0772hg0.jpg

I close that window just to have another open. It says the following:

Attention: MyWay would like to give you 10 Complimentary Ringtones as a free gift. Enter your cellphone number to continue. You will be redirected
back to myway.com as soon as you are done.
then I get 2 windows that pop up asking if I'm sure I want to cancel & not get the ringtones. Then this page opens up.

After that window I get this 1.

Internet Explorer-security warning
Do you want to install this software
Name: WinAntiSpyware2007FreInstall.cab
Publisher: WinSoftware Corporation

2 buttons -Install - Don't install

I did neither & hit the X to close it.

That brought me to this page: I have the addy if you want it. Its for winantispyware2007.
Its the home page for the product. That leads to another window that starts with:

NOTICE: You have not completed the scan.
Then a bunch of reasons why I should scan now.
Then another WinAntiSpyware2007 window pops up saying its going to start the scan. I close it.
Finally after 6 or more pop-up windows I finally can close IE.
I've run AVG-Antispyware, S&D, Ad-aware SE, AVG-AV & re-booted at least 10 times. But I still have the problem. I know this is a lot of stuff I hope it will help.
**PS- I was thinking, what if i did a system restore to an earlier point when this wasn't happening? Would that work? When doing as system restore, to say last week what changes are being made. Will I lose all the work-emails I've done since then? Will all the viruses & malware I've deleted come back? Again sorry for the length.
Thanks!
Rocco

Mod Edit: Edited to fix links. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 17 February 2007 - 10:10 PM.

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:35 PM

First try this

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.
* Scan in SAFE MODE

#5 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

You will never believe this! Now that link for superantispyware will not connect. damn I think there is a conspiracy against me now. I'll find it from another site. (you think that's safe?)

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

See if this link works.
It leads directly to the download.
SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:22 PM

Thanks buddy! I got it from CNet I hope thats ok. In any case I'm scanning now. Its been my experience that this takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Its time for a drink and some dinner. I'll be back when the scan is done.
Mangia-Mangia!

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:11 PM

yorocco7,
If you are still getting the security warnings for WinAntiSpyware today, follow the instructions in this Guide;
How to Remove Winfixer/Virtumonde/Msevents/Trojan.vundo.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:23 PM

Thanks guys! It seems Superantispyware did the trick. It took care of that problem!!!
Thanks for all your help! Now I just need to find out why my laptop won't connect to this site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users