Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canadians Win Race To Build 'super Computer'

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:05 PM

By Catherine Elsworth in Los Angeles Last Updated: 1:45am GMT 14/02/2007 A small Canadian company appears to have beaten the world’s research giants in the race to build the world’s first commercially viable “quantum computer”, a breakthrough technology billions of times faster than today’s most powerful computers. D-Wave Systems, Inc, based near Vancouver, says its new freezer-sized machine is capable of performing perform 64,000 calculations at once and handling complex problems far beyond the reach of even the most powerful conventional computers.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rsd79

rsd79

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:49 AM

Go Canada Go! Posted Image

Edited by rsd79, 17 February 2007 - 05:30 PM.

Dustin Penner is the new Jaromir Jagr.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

But is it true? I have been hearing rumors about it and people are unsure.

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:52 PM

Canada Rocks :thumbsup:

O Canada
Our home and native land
True patriot love
In all our sons command

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:13 PM

Good question CGM

There seems to be some others who question D-Wave 's claims too.

Scientists dubious of quantum computer claims
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/02/15/q...um.computer.ap/

MOUNTAIN VIEW, California (AP) -- Quantum computing is such an elusive goal that even the company claiming to have the "world's first commercial quantum computer" acknowledged it isn't entirely sure the machine is performing true quantum calculations.

And independent quantum computing researchers said they are dubious of some of the claims made by D-Wave Systems Inc. because the privately held Canadian company has not yet submitted its findings for peer review, a standard step for gaining acceptance in scientific circles.

D-Wave held its first public demonstration Tuesday of a machine it claims uses quantum mechanics to solve a certain type of problems, such as searching a database for matching molecular structures.

But the company did not make the machine available for inspection and instead showed video from a remote location, saying it was too sensitive to be easily transported.

I guess we all will have to wait and see.

@ Klinkaroo & rsd79 I do have a soft spot for Cananda. I was born there. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 joemiller

joemiller

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

I'm very dubious. 64 qubits is equal to a 64K classical computer. But 1000 qubits would be a 10exp300 classical computer. That is potentially more memory than the entire information content of the universe, according to Jacob Bekenstein.

Extraordianry clains require extraordinary prof!
joemiller[color=#33FF33][size=5]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users