Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Delete Sys Restore Pnts In Xpsp2

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 healing41

healing41

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:44 PM

While using diskeeper lite i have printed out the report of the defrag and have way too much restore points listed taking up many megs of disk space.

I've turned off system restore and rebooted Once.and then turned it backo and rebooted i think, but i remember that was a while ago after cleaning up at Spybot S&D forums. about a month ago. can I get to those files to delete them?
Also now that my disk is much cleaner I would like to do another sys restore points but am not sure if my comp is as clean as it was that day Spybot forums helped me out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

In Accessories/System tools/, you can choose System Restore.
Click on System Restore Settings in the left-hand portion of the panel in the "Welcome to System Restore" panel.
In the System Properties menu, choose the System Restore Tab. Then click on "Settings" for the appropriate drive. You will see a slider that determines the maximum space to set aside for system restore points. Depending on the drive size, choose an appropriate amount of disk space.
Once the restore points approximates the maximum you set, the earliest points will be deleted as new ones are created.

Remember that System Restore is different from a disk backup in that it only saves some of the files on the hard drive.

You may wish to run your resident AV, and any anti-spyware applications, and then create a manual restore point.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

Bleeping Computer has a very good tutorial for System restore.

Windows XP System Restore Guide
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 healing41

healing41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:24 AM

Do you have to log in as an admin or can having admin priv do the same thing?

Also when a program that you are running says you have to close all running processes does that mean to go to task manager and manually do an end process for all of those it shows running?

Thank you kind people of bleeping computer fame

healing 41

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:32 PM

The restorer points are sequential - that is, they're put on as often as you'd like, and when the allotted space is filled up the older ones are removed as you create new ones.

You can remove them individually, but I see no sense in that as you cannot tell which are good and which are not just by checking the files out (plus, I don't know enough about system restore to be sure that this won't break it). Just turn it off, reboot, and then turn it back on. That'll delete all of the old points and you'll start out fresh

When a program that you're running wants to close all running processes, it's because it needs to write to a file that may be in use. If that happens, it'll make a "Run Once" entry that will cause it to be re-written on reboot (since the file is locked because it's being used). BUT, killing as much as you can may save you a reboot - but if you kill too much you'll have to reboot anyway!

I know of no easy way to tell which file it is before running the application. But, there is a nice free tool that'll tell you why it may prompt you to reboot: http://exodusdev.com/products/whyreboot/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 healing41

healing41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:50 PM

Ok I don't think my qestions were preambled right
Q. do i havce to be LOGGED IN as administrator or are administrator priviledges (assigned) enough?
1. in the system restore mode (the box and all) It makes it clear that you must be logged in as adminisrator
to use system restore..Hence my question reguarding is that the reason i might have so many restore points that weren't erased. do you se what I mean?

Q. Spy bot says close all running processes (or something to that effect) Others say stuff like close all apps or shut down all running processes (they don't say programs or apps) does what spybot and them mean(A) go to taskmanager and END PROCESS each of the 30 or so that are running or does it mean(:thumbsup: shut down all of the programs that you have running on my desktop and that is enough? "a" or "b"

healing41

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

1. If you are the only user and your account has admin privileges that should be fine. As for the many restore points your System Restore size may be at it's default setting of 12%. I set mine to 5%. To adjust the size read the Bleeping Computer tutorial.

2. b

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 19 February 2007 - 08:16 PM.

Get Your Donor Card

#8 healing41

healing41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:48 PM

a little more clarifying is necessalry

There are several RP10's, RP13's, RP11"s all the way to 14(only one) ten total. Is that the way that service works?

I mean all of the 26 random letters of the beginning of the filename are all the same on all of theten locations listed.

Are they all those that are necessary? Because like i said I allready shut down that service once for the express porpose of eliminating thems.

howling41

Edited by healing41, 19 February 2007 - 08:50 PM.

#9 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

How many user accounts? RP stands for restore point. Mine go from RP1 to RP19. One user so there are only one of each restore points.

A number/letter combination such as 05E59959-1662-4F73-9512-51044AA54B97 is known as a CLSID (Class ID).

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 19 February 2007 - 09:01 PM.

Get Your Donor Card

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:25 PM

healing41: When you shut down the service, did you then reboot? If not, you need to do so else the old points will stay there. Then go back and re-enable system restore. You do need to have this on just in case. System Restore has saved my hide more than once.
--------------------
Another method for eliminating old system restore points. First, make sure that you have a good working configuration. Then go into system restore and create a new restore point and give it a good recognizable name. Now do the following: Start --> Control Panel --> Performance and Maintenance --> Free up space on your hard disk. This will open the disk clean-up application which will automatically begin scanning your computer. Wait for it to finish scanning. When it has finished scanning another little window will open up with two tabs on it. Click on the More Options tab. Third option down is system restore. You will see a button labeled clean up. Click on it, and then click on the yes button on the alert that pops up. This will eliminate all but the most recent restore point.

Note: On the first tab, there will be several options. If you click on the text, you can read the description of what is it in the lower part of the window. I personally always leave unchecked the following: Office Set-up Files, Recycle Bin (as I deal with it in a different way), compress old files. Once you have chosen which you wish to do, click on Okay, and those files etc. will be removed.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 healing41

healing41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:51 PM

yes, orange blosoom i did it like it says. i just never got to look at the defrag report and see all of these points before. i am trying to free up disk space so i could get past the 15% free space on a 3.4 gig hard drive so the thing (defrag) would work correctly.

Can I switch those points to the other drive that i have (D:) without changing to a new set (by turning on and off AND rebooting) which i did at the spybots behest because those were clean and i Know it I don't know as confidently about any new ones that i might put in now.

i have the 15% percent default set in because of lack of bravery before i gained confidence (some) in working with the system.

orangee brossom.. There are other folders (users?)such as local service, network service, all users,Administrator, and tek but when i get to the sighn on screen there is only tek or sign on as administrator. but i know from searching that there are administrator priveledges on the tek acount account but it is not THE administrator. you know what I mean?

I am asking too can i do a search for those clisd numbers and just transfer them to the d; drive?

Healing41

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:44 PM

Transferring saved restore points to another drive won't work. That is rather akin to having your emergency gasoline can, filled in case you run out of gas in a traffic jam, in the car you left at home. It's not there when you need it. I'm also not sure if you could then reinsert the moved restore points later - it might break the back-up system. Simply removing them might do that as usasma already mentioned.

If your purpose is to free up space on your hard drive, you need to look at other ways of freeing up space.

Are there programs you don't use? If so, uninstall them and delete their folders.

Do you have a bunch of saved picture files, document files etc.? Save them to removeable media - flash drive, CD - make two copies just in case - and delete them off the hard drive.

Utilize the disk clean-up utility, which I provided directions to in my previous post, to eliminate temp. files etc.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 20 February 2007 - 06:46 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:00 PM

You're running WinXP on a 4GB partition???? The bare minimum would be 10GB whereas 15GB-20GB is recommended.

Get Your Donor Card

#14 healing41

healing41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:21 PM

thank you orangeblossomthe terrorist

i don't know about that partition thing but there are two dives like that with ntfs set up.

you've all been very helpful GodBless

#15 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:22 AM

Clear instructions here.

http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/2006/1...em-restore.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users