Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Cannot Display The Webpage (and Winsock Error)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chelmarsie

chelmarsie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:33 PM

Hi. I am new to this forum. I have looked at the first few pages to see if I could find the error problems I am having with my laptop, but havent seen it. And I do not have time to search through 336 pages of errors so I am hoping this one is not duplicated in exact form somewhere else. I don't know much about fixing errors unless windows itself can actually help. I tried that. Here is the problem:
I try to sign on--I have a wireless network-Linksys-have had it for 2 years and not one problem ever until today-worked perfectly fine last night--the error message I get is this:
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"
and then most likely causes, yadyadyada... it is the microsoft site so I know there is no problem with the way I typed it in, or the site itself.
Then it says it can be caused by a variety of reasons...so I checked the one it might have been: making sure the https is secure by going to tools, internet options, advanced and checked under security section for the SSL and TLS protocols to be checked. They were.
OK... then went to the link "Diagnose Connection Problems" and it took m to "welcome to Network Diagnostics for Windows XP, I clicked Next, then clicked on wireless connection and next, it checked for connectivity and tole me that "windows has detected a problem with the Winsock provider catalog on this computer...would you like windows to reset the catalog to the default configuration? I clicked yes and next. Then it said to restart the computer. I did and still the same problem.
Ok...so then I tried this:
Repair Winsock
These issues may occur if the Winsock registry keys are damaged or corrupted.

Warning Programs that access or monitor the Internet, such as antivirus programs, firewall programs, and proxy clients, may be adversely affected when you run the netsh winsock reset command. If you have a program that no longer works correctly after you follow these steps, reinstall the program.

To repair Winsock on a computer that is running Windows XP with SP2, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type netsh winsock reset, and then click OK.
2. When the Command Prompt flashes, restart the computer.

AND once again... nothing changed.
Then I also see something that tells me to Delete registry subkeys, but I am not willing to do this for fear that I will have to reinstall my whole operating system (which I cannot do-used laptop and all).

Does anybody have any suggestions or help they can offer me? Please. I am at my wits end with this stupid computer (by the way I am typing all of this on my PC). But I need my laptop for school and my 13 year old uses it for her homework as well.
Thank you so much in advance. I appreciate all the help I can get at this point.
~Penne~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:54 AM

In IE under extra it says " reset WEB settings" have you tried that?
Furthermore here are some solutions by Microsoft. Have you tried those?

Can you ping?? START RUN type cmd in the black box type ping www.google.com
(mind the bracket between ping and www) and tell us what is happening
Have you tried to scan with antivirus and/or antispyware programs?

Edited by fozzie, 17 February 2007 - 06:58 AM.

#3 chelmarsie

chelmarsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:04 PM

Hi. I have tried all the things pertaining to me through the link you gave me to "Error message when you start Internet Explorer 7 or try to access a Web site: "Internet Explorer cannot display the Webpage"

Not sure where to look for "" reset WEB settings" under IE extra. Can you explain where to find this please?

And don't know what ping means either. So when I go to RUN I am supposed to type in " ping[www.google.com]" ?? You said something about a bracket in your reply but I don't know where exactly to place one.
Thanks for your help.
~Penne~

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

To ping.

Go to Start > Run and type cmd in the box then press the <Enter> key. AT the command prompt type ping www.google.com (notice space between the g in ping and the first w) then press the <Enter> key. Once it finishes (if successful) the commnd prompt will come up again. Just type exit and press the <Enter> key to close out.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 chelmarsie

chelmarsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:35 PM

I did the cmd command and this is what came up:
PING: transmit failed, error code 65

PING statistics for 216.239.37.104:
Packets: Sent=4, Received= 0, Lost=4 <100% loss>,

[i]Not sure what that all means, but I am sure you do.

Thanks,
~Penne~

#6 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

That means that you have no connection to the internet.
Does thismake any sence to you?

#7 chelmarsie

chelmarsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:44 PM

I did check the link you sent and understand it. But the ethernet card I have attached to my laptop is definately working fine. I have an excellent signal and it is flashing like it always does. So I dont know why it is saying I dont have a connection. I am confused.
Thanks,
~Penne~

#8 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:24 PM

If you read my recent posts in Networking forum, a similar thing happened to me. I had excellent signal 54Mbps and the little radio icon was all green. No internet. I did two things that brought it back:

1) I reinstalled the wireless network card's drivers (go to manufacturer's site to find this). In my case, I went to Dell and typed in my laptop model.
2) I updated my wireless router's firmware. Again, go to manufacturer's site to do this.
drymobius

#9 chelmarsie

chelmarsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

Thank you all for your help.
The "Ping: transmit failed, error code 65" link I checked out said to Remove the Zone Labs firewall software from the computer so I uninstalled it and I am now able to sign on to IE. I am not really sure why this happened and why I had Zone Alarm on my laptop, but hopefully it wont cause any more problems.
Thanks to all who gave me help in this matter.
~Penne~

#10 southeuro

southeuro

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:13 AM

hi Penne,

it seems that I have the same problem as you had (and solved)- I have some components of zone alert that I can't erase from the computer. How can I do it? Please help! Thanks!!

#11 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:09 AM

Posted Image

http://smileygenerator.us/smileyletters/image.php?s=WELCOME%20TO%20BC&ext=.gif

Posted Image

ZoneLabs Board

To remove ZoneAlarm completely from your computer in case normal uninstall canít be run or doesnít run properly, do the following:

* Right click the ZoneAlarm systray icon and click Restore ZoneAlarm Control Center.

Go to Overview > Preferences and uncheck Load ZoneAlarm at startup.

Close Control Center, right click the icon again and then click Shutdown ZoneAlarm.

Note: If you're unable to carry out this step because the icon is missing, you can skip it and proceed with the next steps, but in this case do them all in safe mode!

* REBOOT

* Go to Start > Programs > ZoneLabs and click Uninstall, or uninstall ZA using Control Panel > Software > Add/Remove Programs.

If a security check appears, click Yes and continue the uninstall procedure.

* REBOOT

* Make sure hidden files and folders are shown. To do so open Windows Explorer. Depending on your OS click Tools or View and then Folder Options > View.

Choose Show hidden files and folders, uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Windows 2000/XP/2003 only) and click OK.

* Next go to Start > Search > Files and Folders. Make sure the location box is set to search your Local Hard Drive (usually C:\ ) or All Local Drives. Also make

sure the Advanced Search Options are set to search subfolders and hidden files. Now copy the entire line below, paste it into the search box and click Search Now.

Zonelabs; "zone labs"; "Internet logs"; vsconfig.xml; vsdata.dll; vsdata95.vxd; vsdatant.sys; vsmon.*; vsmonapi.dll; vsnetutils.dll;vspubapi.dll; zaplus.*; zapro.*; zllictbl.dat; zlparser.dll; zonealarm.exe; zoneband.dll; vsutil.dll; zlclient.*

A list of files and folders belonging to ZoneAlarm will appear in the Search Results pane.

Note: if youíre using McAfee software be sure to check the vsutil.dll if found: right click the file and choose Properties. Verify it belongs to ZoneLabs.

If it does not do not remove it. Now proceed by deleting all ZoneLabs files and folders that were found.

* Empty the Recycle Bin.

* Now remove all ZoneLabs keys that may be left in the Windows registry. To do this copy the lines below and paste them into Notepad.

Save the file as zabegone.reg, double click it and allow for the registry changes to be made.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs]

[-HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Zone Labs]

* REBOOT

ZoneAlarm will now be completely removed from your computer. If you wish to install a new copy of ZA, be sure to do so under an administrator account

with full rights and permissions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users