Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Ram

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:42 PM

Hello all,

Well let me start off by giving you some information about my system. I have a A8N-SLI premium mobo with 2x512 sticks of corsair dual channel ram in my system right now. I just bought another 2 sticks of 1 gig RAM which would up my total to 3 gigs. So the question is this... Does anyone know if this particular mobo has trouble with using the 4 DIMM slots and/or will I suffer a decrease in speed because of it. I know my mobo supports up to 4gigs but I am unsure about everything else. Also the cas latency of the new sticks is 3 and the older ones are 2.5 I believe... Will that cause problems as well or can I make the 1gig sticks run at 2.5?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:50 AM

I'm not sure about that motherboard, but like the pc100 and pc133 or pc3200,2700,2100 etc, I think that to make it compatible, the new sticks will automatically set speed and timings down to match the rest. If there is speed decrease because of this at all, I think it will be so small that you wouldn't tell a difference. That much more memory is better than to have it run the tiniest bit faster.

I have heard that with faster ram, it runs faster in pairs.... oh well.
If it works, good for you. There are poor people in Tonga who don't even know what ram is. *shudder*

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:59 AM

Just looked up this Mobo the standard ram used on it is DDR 400 (CAS 3.0), so the older ram that you have is probably ddr333 (CAS2.5), which might slow down the system a bit with the two different speeds mixed. if you have un explained problems when the new ram is installed, remove the old ram first and see how the machine works with the mobo standard ram installed.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:31 AM

If you are running dual channel the specs of the RAM have to be the same.

Edited by dc3, 18 February 2007 - 12:30 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 swagger

swagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

To answer some of the questions posed in your replies... The old ram is cas 2.5 DDR 400 (pc 3200) as well but it is a dual channel kit. I bought the two new sticks separately but the specs on newegg say its cas 3 even though someone's review says its 2.5. I have the ram with me but am not currently with my computer as I am moving currently. My question is still whether that ram will run efficiently with the older ram or not.

Oh and to nforce, I know there are poor people all around the world and not by any stretch am I rich. I was blessed enough to be born in the US and a little more fortunate than some around the world. Sue me? I am in the military so I have been to some of these places that we all know about. Thanks.

Edited by K Mills, 17 February 2007 - 07:10 PM.

#6 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:33 PM

Ah, sorry, it was late and I felt like making a stupid joke.

Anyway, with normal ddr ram and not ddr2, it is not fast enough to really make a difference with dual channel mode. Also, come to think of it, in my desktop, I have a 1gig stick of pc3200 with a cas latency of 3 and then a 512mb pc3200 stick with cas latency of 2.5. No compatibility issues and it is nice and fast.

#7 swagger

swagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for the reply... I have been gathering some information and kind of came to that realization that cas 3 and 2.5 won't hender the performance that much. Now I need to figure out if my mobo will handle all 4 DIMM slots as dual channel or not or will I only be able to run the 2 1-gig sticks. Hey, is there any benchmark software I can run for testing the memory?

#8 thunderpuppy

thunderpuppy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

In Barkalot, the techies tell me RAM will only run at the speed on the slowest memory card. It is preferible not to mix and match since I do know Vista is very touchy about RAM- especially if it detects any errors on a bad bank. I saw some good info on installing it properly- (things they never tell you at a store) at www.vista-memory.info There is also a free scan which can help you determine hwat your particular machine can handle. I have been to their factory in Boise- not when Bush was there viewing the "big machines". Seems Intel dropped a pile of money into Micron a few years back to insure their supply of chips. PuP -0^____/ [font=Verdana]

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

You may have stability issues running four sticks of RAM at DDR400 on that motherboard. ASUS recommends going down to DDR333.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users