Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Some Anti-virus And Firewall Advice…for My Network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mischievous

mischievous

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:18 PM

Desktop Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (updated from sp 1)

Laptop Windows Media Center Service Pack 2

I first had an anti-virus program (McAfee) for my Desktop Computer. After the first year I would get downloaded DAT’s for a further year at a reduced rate. This continued until this January. (3 years in total) When it was due again this year I was told there were no further updates for that version so had to renew to a full version.

Now I also got a laptop as a Christmas gift and thought one anti-virus program would secure both the Desktop and Laptop but was told I would need two…….This is out- with my budget at this time so thought I could download a free version from the net which would cover the Laptop, this program (AGV) did advise it was not suitable for using with a network and after downloading it, I couldn’t get online so uninstalled it.

Now at the moment I prefer using the Laptop so renewed my anti-virus to this but my Desktop has my Printer attached and I also transfer files between both computers and wondered if there was any safe measures anyone could recommend to tide me over.

Another problem along these same lines is that since getting the new anti-virus program downloaded onto the Laptop, I’ve had problems with my network. It seems to be a problem with the Firewall. I have set the virus program to accept I.P addresses from my range and that seems ok but if I have the Windows own Firewall on, on either computer then I can’t connect, which leaves the Desktop even more vulnerable as there is no protection there at all except maybe some from the router and even that
I’m not sure about

I appreciate anyone who has had the patience to read this to this point as I know I am not very good at explaining so only hope that somebody can understand and maybe give me some good advice.

Regards
Mischievous

Moved from the "Networking" Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 17 February 2007 - 12:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:10 PM

Hi mischievous,

Well I don't know if it'll help you any but I use Zone Alarms free firewall and Avast! free anti virus on my PC. Both of those work pretty good for me. You might want to give them a try.

Good luck,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 mischievous

mischievous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:08 AM

Hi mischievous,

Well I don't know if it'll help you any but I use Zone Alarms free firewall and Avast! free anti virus on my PC. Both of those work pretty good for me. You might want to give them a try.

Good luck,

Wendy

Thank you for your reply. I have been given advice and I'm going to give it a try today. I was so tired yesterday that I could hardly think straight but I'm all ready to give it my best today and hopefully get it all sorted out.

If I don't reply, you'll know it all went wrong........again : :thumbsup: I'm going to keep the McAffee, but put it on the Desktop and maybe download either the Avast or AVG for the Laptop. The only concern I have is that I'm sure I read on here or some other computer site that you shouldn't have opposing programs. I think I am going wrong when I set the Firewall but I will work on that and hopefully it will work out.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:55 AM

I suspect that the warning against opposing programmes was limited to their being on the SAME computer; having more than one AV providing real time protection usually slows down your computer and often generates conflicts between the two.
There should be no reason that you could not use two AVs, each on their own hard drive, as long they were linked independently to the router or hub.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 mischievous

mischievous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:28 PM

I suspect that the warning against opposing programmes was limited to their being on the SAME computer; having more than one AV providing real time protection usually slows down your computer and often generates conflicts between the two.
There should be no reason that you could not use two AVs, each on their own hard drive, as long they were linked independently to the router or hub.
Regards,
John

Hello

I understand now as I have been given some useful information today and now have AVon both my Desktop and Laptop and have XP Firewall's plus the Firewall that comes with the McAfee on too. Plus I am able to share my files/printer on my home network. So I'm a very happy chappie (well girlie actually....hehe) but happy :flowers:

So Thank you and Wendy for taking the time to answer my post.

Regards
Mischievous :thumbsup:

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hi mischievous,

I'm glad to hear that you got some helpfull information :thumbsup: . As to the firewall that comes with XP --> it sucks in that it WILL NOT stop anything from exiting your PC so if you get a Trojan it will still be able to call home without having to ask you to get on the www.

That's why I use the free one from ZoneAlarm [and disable the one in XP]. ZoneAlarm stops all out bound traffic and asks you if it's OK to let it online first. Then you can set it to let your ligiment stuff get out all the time. AND it really blocks a whole lot of evil stuff that's trying to sneak into your PC every day.

I don't know what the McAfee firewall will do for you as I've never used it.

Hope everything goes well for you,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:49 PM

I first had an anti-virus program (McAfee) for my Desktop Computer. After the first year I would get downloaded DAT’s for a further year at a reduced rate. This continued until this January. (3 years in total) When it was due again this year I was told there were no further updates for that version so had to renew to a full version.

Which version of McAfee were you using?

You can still download the DAT updates here and they don't cost you anything. :thumbsup:

Although I've had problems with them here

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users