Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Access Internet On Client Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wsanders123

wsanders123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:04 PM

I am fairly certain this is an easy fix, as it has happened to me before but I cannot remember what the remedy was. Typically seems to happen after I get an XP update from Microsoft and the ICF gets turned back on as a default. Not necessarily the problem, just seems to happen everytime the ICF is turned back on via an update push.

Here's my situation. I am able to connect to the server computer on a wireless network, can verify with ip config and ping command back to the server. Also have pretty good signal strength. Everything looks good until I attempt to actually connect to the internet via web browser or use Outlook to download my email. For the web browser, I get an error saying it cannot load the website, similar to indications if I had not connected at all to the internet. Outlook 'times' out as well.

If I jump over to my dial up connection, I have no problems at all connecting.

I have had this problem once before with my DSL connection and my service provider was able to walk me through the steps (different provider and current one not as helpful). If memory serves me correctly, it had to do with enabling my computer to get the dynamic address properly from the server.

Ideas? Running XP home (SP2) with the latest Tuesday Microsoft pushes. Everything worked fine prior to downloading the updates on Tuesday. I just cannot seem to locate the correct menu to enable my system (I think) to get the correct dynamic IP address from the server.

Thanks,
Wes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:52 AM

Well, all your network settings are stored in the Start>Control Panel>Network Connections. If you right click you LAN Connection and select properties, you can Access your TCP/IP Settings from the list and click properties. You can select Automatically Obtain and this will tell your router to grab the address automatically. Then you can go to Start>Run and type CMD and do an IPCONFIG /ALL to get all your information. If your behind a router it will be, in example:

IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.-

If your not on a router, it would be as follows:

70.-.-.-

Please post your results.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users