Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A New Hope For BitTorrent?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:43 AM

Just weeks after legal attacks crippled the popular BitTorrent file-swapping community, an underground programmer from its ranks has stepped forward to announce new software designed to withstand future onslaughts from Hollywood. By John Borland CNET News.com January 5, 2005, 4:00 AM PT Dubbed Exeem, the software has already been distributed in a closed beta, or early test format, by the creators of the SuprNova.org Web site, which was until late last month the most popular hub for the BitTorrent file-swapping community. Last week, the head of that now-defunct site, a man known as "Sloncek," officially announced the Exeem project in an interview on the NovaStream Webcasting network. He said that it would be a modified version of the popular BitTorrent technology, but transformed into a decentralized, searchable network similar to Kazaa or eDonkey. Reports from some beta testers are now beginning to come in, as the private testing nears its end.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Truth Loves You

Truth Loves You

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:51 PM

ahaha that's great. fighting fascism is cool. :thumbsup: There's alledgedly a new strain of BT as well in the works.

More laws rarely make one safer. Pirating is a crime, yes. But criminalizing a technology is down right stupid. It's right up there with unconstitutional restriction of firearm ownership in the US.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:08 AM

I tend to agree that self-determined autocratic rule dampens the spirit of open source development
by the majority of computer literate people world-wide.

Some laws are just.
Just making rules is unjust.
Interpreting rules is conflictatory and further divides the infancy of the Internet.
Internet as we know it is a fraction of my age, for instance.
Laws & conflicts are as old as the hills.

Public domain is a reality.
Proprietory software is too.
I say keep developing
I was born in a democracy.
Majority rules.
Money, politics & religion are always devisive factors.

Since the dawn of man, it appears.
Woman, too.

Be good.
Lots of others are trying to, also.

Now, where is that invision mod, smashmonkey?
:thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 06 January 2005 - 12:09 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 Truth Loves You

Truth Loves You

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:48 AM

Now, where is that invision mod, smashmonkey?

I'm working on it.. ;)

Money, politics & religion are always devisive factors.

Well I agree with two thirds of that. The latter of the three in purity is never motivated by greed. The first two tend towards self service, whereas the latter often seeks to serve others.

remember: Extreme virtue is never a vice.

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:53 AM

Extreme virtue is never a vice.

Good one, well put.

extreme vice is never a virtue, either...
or as the english vernacular would have it
vice-versa.

and just kidding 'bout the mod.
it'll be :flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 09:50 PM

Pirating is a crime, yes. But criminalizing a technology is down right stupid.

How may I ask can u have it both ways? If pirating is a crime. Then the technology that one uses to commit the "crime" of ( pirating) should as well be a crime also. When one illegally file swaps the ways and means they use are criminal.

But only in the case of pirating. I file swap personal info. at times amongst friends and family. I do not steal pirated copies of movies or music. So I am not a criminal. Those that do are.

I can own a gun for protection or hunting. I do not go out and commit murder. So I am not a criminal. Those that do are criminals. And should not be allowed to have a gun. Ever!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users