Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Refuses To Hibernate

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fleamour

fleamour

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:20 PM

Now this is either a sign of global warning ( :thumbsup: ) or; well I guess that's where you guyz come in. The title says it all, but even when I, and yes I have, enable the little check box under power management, nothing happens. :flowers:

Edited by fleamour, 16 February 2007 - 06:13 PM.

ASRock Conroe (micro ATX) - Ubuntu 12.04/Win 7 Ultimate (x86)
Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz/low profile Noctua (single fan)
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM, GeForce GT220 1024MB

Vintage IBM-T21 laptop, Xubuntu Lucid LTS
512MB KingSpec RAM, 1GHz CPU [T22 Fan], Wireless-G PCMCIA, 7200RPM HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:50 PM

Hibernate

To hibernate manually, select Start, Turn Off Computer, then click the Hibernate button. To set your system to hibernate after it has been idle for a certain amount of time, select Power Options inside the Control Panel (in Category view, select Performance and Maintenance, then select Power Options). On the Power Schemes tab, choose a time next to "System hibernates," then click OK.

#3 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:18 PM

Thing is I set it to half an hour. Half an hour comes & goes, nothing, try five mins, nothing.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:26 AM

Does it hibernate when you set it manually? If not, then it's likely a video driver problem. If it does, then there's another problem with the OS that we'll have to troubleshoot.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:37 PM

It hibernates manually just fine, but not automatically. :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:42 PM

If it's a laptop, there's a chance that the laptop manufacturer has disabled the Windows power options. You'll have to use the manufacturer's power options to do this then.

If it's not a laptop, then it's likely that your power options are FUBAR'd. In that case, run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog to get started troubleshooting this (link to SFC.EXE mini-guide: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

John

When running SFC.EXE is it normal for it to keep prompting for CD? I only have an SP1 CD & I kept pressing "Retry". This seems to have done the trick!!! :thumbsup: . The computer hibernates automatically now, however the computer seems significantly faster?!? This seems too good to be true :flowers: Is this 'cus all system files have been reset to SP1?

EDIT: Upon closer examination, although it will hibernate automatically when set to 2-3 minutes, longer periods of time, 20 minutes, appear not to work. :trumpet:

Edited by fleamour, 19 February 2007 - 06:45 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

It sounds like there's something "fishy" with your system.

SFC will prompt for a CD, but generally you won't have to hit "Retry" unless the path to the CD was incorrect.

Also, since you only have an SP1 CD - Do you have SP2 installed? Regardless of your answer, I'd suggest visiting Windows Update to make sure that you have ALL the latest updates. If you don't have SP2 I'd strongly encourage you to get it.

#9 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:05 PM

I did a fresh install this month & do have SP2 installed, it's the original XP CD that is SP1. I was however constantly prompted for the CD. I visited Windows Update as you said in your guide, the only update needed was a security update for Media Player 10.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:38 PM

SFC.EXE acts funny with SP2 - it's supposed to get the SP2 files from a Service Pack directory on your system, but often doesn't do this. Your's is one of the first systems (that I've seen) that's functioned as it should.

You can alleviate the prompt by slipstreaming your copy of XP SP1 and a copy of SP2 - but why mess with success at this point?

I'd next suggest a repair install of XP - but be aware that this will take significantly longer than SFC.EXE (and it'll redo everything that SFC.EXE has done) - you'll also have about 65 Windows Updates to install afterwards.

The reason for suggesting this is that you've noticed an increase in performance of your system since running SFC.EXE. SFC.EXE only replaces "protected system files" - not ALL system files. The repair install will replace ALL system files. http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#11 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

Well I'm glad it worked!

One strange thing; when the XP CD is in the CD Drive (E:) it shows what appears to be a Hewlett Packard logo (hp) then XRMHOEM_EN.

#12 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:14 PM

Well, I have carried out system repair & the computer runs as slow as molasses, hanging on start up & when connecting to Windows Update. I am considering a fresh install...

Edited by fleamour, 20 February 2007 - 12:14 PM.

#13 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:41 AM

I've nailed the source of the problem as being Panda AV. Not sure there is much that can be done about that...

:thumbsup: Cheerz John, SFC.EXE run flawlessly on reinstall, I've learned something new!

Edited by fleamour, 08 March 2007 - 09:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users