Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Format External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Paul103

Paul103

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:35 PM

I deleted everything on it but one folder is protected so i get the "Access is Denied" error. I tried using unlocker but it didn't work. When i right click the drive and try to format it i get this " Windows cannot format this drive, quit any disk utilities or programs that are using this drive and make sure that no window is displaying the content of this drive. Then try formatting again". Should i try in Safe Mode?
Can you see me now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:30 PM

I bet dban would do it. Just use the quick erase function (maybe called 0 clear or something).

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Posted Image

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:19 AM

Try the manfacturers web site for the correct utility for format or erase of an external drive, knowing what company made the drive would be helpful. Knowing what OS that you are using would also be helpful.

remember, some external drives have files necessary to use them in older systems, to get around bios drive size limitations
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users