Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Visus Infection- Vlob Suspected

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 byonic

byonic

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:02 AM

Please excuse my typo in topic title!

Hi,

my machine has caught a nasty case of vlob.ivideocodec and was diagnosed by Spybot S&D. Spybot cannot remove the virus, unfortunately.

The main symptom of infection is an annoying animated icon in the system tray which changes from an 'X' to a Question mark. A balloon pops up from the icon periodically stating that 'critical system errors! ... click this baloon to fix the problem.'

If clicked, IE opens and displays the Virusbursters website. I haven't knowingly downloaded anything from the site, I simply closed it.

I have read the forum on dealing with this particular problem, but was unsure how to go about the fix unaided. This is due to slightly conflicting instructions in different forums, one saying: do this if you have a Smitfraud infection (and instructing the user to download and use Smitfraudfix), another advising against using Smitfraudfix unaided.

Another reason is that the PC which has the problem doesn't start up in the same way as other machines. When F8 is pressed during boot up, I get a list of options which do not contain the 'safe mode' choice. I haven't encountered this before. The machine is a HP, is that the reason for the unusual bootup?

As safe mode is required to run most fixes, I got stuck!

So, I thought if in doubt, ask the experts.

:thumbsup:

My HijackThis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 13:20:52, on 16/02/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\AvidSDMService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\DrvLsnr.exe
C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\INSTAN~1\INSTAN~1\IWCTRL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\CPQEAKSYSTEMTRAY.EXE
C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\CPQEADM.EXE
C:\Compaq\EAKDRV\EAUSBKBD.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\EASYAC~1\BttnServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Protection Bar - {1a29a79a-b9c8-44a9-bedf-7fadde3cf33f} - C:\Program Files\iVideoCodec\iesplugin.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DrvLsnr] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\DrvLsnr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQEASYACC] C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IW Controlcenter] C:\PROGRA~1\INSTAN~1\INSTAN~1\IWCTRL.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\npjpi142_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\npjpi142_01.dll
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O21 - SSODL: bonspells - {11853d5f-f894-4cc7-bbc3-fc7a9dcfd896} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\okkmtv.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Avid SDM Service (AvidSDMService) - Avid Technology, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\AvidSDMService.exe
O23 - Service: Avid Startup (AvidStartup) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\AvidStartup.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - PC Tools Research Pty Ltd - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe

Edited by byonic, 16 February 2007 - 09:04 AM.

Big Yellow Feet
The production company

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:47 AM

Hello,

I see you are running Teatimer.
I suggest you to disable it because it can interfere with the changes you'll make on your system.
When everything is done and your log is clean again, you can enable it again.
If teatimer gives you a warning afterwards that some changes were made, allow this instead of blocking it.
How to disable TeaTimer during HijackThis Cleanup
Then, Download ResetTeaTimer.bat.
Double click ResetTeaTimer.bat to remove all entries set by TeaTimer.

* Please download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri)
Extract the content (a folder named SmitfraudFix) to your Desktop.
Don't use it yet.

* Reboot into Safe Mode`: ( without networking support !)
°To get into the Safe mode as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key". Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

* Start HijackThis, close all open windows leaving only HijackThis running. Place a check against each of the following if still present:

O3 - Toolbar: Protection Bar - {1a29a79a-b9c8-44a9-bedf-7fadde3cf33f} - C:\Program Files\iVideoCodec\iesplugin.dll (file missing)
O21 - SSODL: bonspells - {11853d5f-f894-4cc7-bbc3-fc7a9dcfd896} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\okkmtv.dll

* Click on Fix Checked when finished and exit HijackThis.
Make sure your Internet Explorer is closed when you click Fix Checked!

* Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd
Select option #2 - Clean by typing 2 and press "Enter" to delete infected files.

(Warning : running option #2 on a non infected computer will remove your Desktop background and set it blank again. But you can reapply your desktop background again afterwards

You will be prompted : "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry ?"; answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter" in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.

The tool will now check if wininet.dll is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found); answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter".

The tool may need to restart your computer to finish the cleaning process; if it doesn't, please restart it into Normal Windows.
A text file will appear onscreen, with results from the cleaning process.

Post the log from smitfraudfix in your next reply together with a new hijackthislog.
The report can also be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 byonic

byonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:43 AM

Hello miekiemoes,

Thanks for responding to my problem.

I have carried out the instructions in the last post. It took some time for me to learn how to restart this HP computer by a different method than the one I'm familiar with, i.e. pressing F8 on start up. anyway, I have overcome this problem now I have discovered MSconfig.

Anyway, the icon in the sytem tray seems to have disappeared now.

:thumbsup:
logs follow:

Scan saved at 12:13:54, on 22/02/2007

Running processes:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DrvLsnr] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\DrvLsnr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQEASYACC] C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\npjpi142_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\npjpi142_01.dll
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Avid SDM Service (AvidSDMService) - Avid Technology, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\AvidSDMService.exe
O23 - Service: Avid Startup (AvidStartup) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\AvidStartup.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - PC Tools Research Pty Ltd - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe

SmitFraudFix v2.144

Scan done at 12:18:11.28, 22/02/2007
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
The filesystem type is NTFS
Fix run in safe mode

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» SharedTaskScheduler Before SmitFraudFix
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler]
"{11853d5f-f894-4cc7-bbc3-fc7a9dcfd896}"="bonspells"

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Killing process

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Generic Renos Fix

GenericRenosFix by S!Ri

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Deleting infected files

C:\WINDOWS\system32\okkmtv.dll Deleted
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\FAVORI~1\Online Security Test.url Deleted

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Deleting Temp Files

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Winlogon.System

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"System"=""

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Registry Cleaning

Registry Cleaning done.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» SharedTaskScheduler After SmitFraudFix

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» End
Big Yellow Feet
The production company

#4 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:56 AM

Hi byonic,

I have overcome this problem now I have discovered MSconfig.

Good, see.. you learn everyday! :thumbsup:

But, I see you scanned with Hijackthis while you were still in safe mode, before performing the instructions, so can you rescan with Hijackthis again in Normal mode and post the new Hijackthislog?
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 byonic

byonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:56 AM

Yes I do learn something everyday, although I haven't yet learnt to always run Hijack This in normal mode..!

ahem.

here is the new log:

Scan saved at 13:49:52, on 22/02/2007

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\AvidSDMService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\DrvLsnr.exe
C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\INSTAN~1\INSTAN~1\IWCTRL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\CPQEAKSYSTEMTRAY.EXE
C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\CPQEADM.EXE
C:\Compaq\EAKDRV\EAUSBKBD.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\EASYAC~1\BttnServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

Big Yellow Feet
The production company

#6 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:06 AM

Hi,

Clean log here.

Just update your sun Java:

Your version of Java is outdated and needs to be updated to take advantage of fixes that have eliminated security vulnerabilities.
Updating Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.0.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language and save to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
    - Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
    • Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
    • J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
    • J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.
By the way, how many computers do you have? Because I also replied to another thread of yours and I see there is still a pending thread....
Or are you doing this for someone else?

#7 byonic

byonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:55 AM

Hi miekiemoes,

I have installed the Java update.

And yes, you have been having multiple conversations with me. I initially posted to fix my machines (I have two), and I told my friend about this forum and what I was doing, and he asked me to have a look at his. (Me being more technically savy than him). It seemed to have a similar problem, so I ran HiJackthis and posted a log.

I appreciate your help on both!

Hopefully, I will have learnt a lot from the process of decontaminating and will be able to ensure that both me and friend will be able to stay clean in future.

Many Thanks,

Byron
Big Yellow Feet
The production company

#8 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:12 AM

You're most welcome :thumbsup:

#9 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:14 PM

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.
If you need this topic reopened for continuations of existing problems, please request this by sending me a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users